Searching for a hibiscus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello

I would like to purchase a red flowering hibiscus but not sure which variety. I have researched different varieties - refer to this link: https://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-sheets/in-the-garden/flowering-plants-shrubs/hibiscus/

The articles states there are three categories of sizes as per below:

“The height varies depending on the cultivar: dwarfs are less than 1.5m (5′), mediums are 2m-3m (6′-10′) and talls are over 3m (10’+)”

I would like to purchase a medium sized i.e. 2m-3m (6′-10′) red flowering hibiscus because I have limited space but not sure which variety to search for which is both medium sized and red flowering.

The traditional red hibiscus Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is apparently not medium growing - I believe it is a 'tall' (i.e. over 3 metres) however unfortunately, it is too large for my small garden.

I would be grateful for any guidance.

Thank you
Jay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Consider that Hibiscus rosa-sinensis can be pruned, so a plant that may grow over three meters can be kept smaller.
Melbourne is usually frost-free, so this might be a good choice, but plant it in a sheltered spot.

Also consider other species of Hibiscus, as there are many in with red flowers in a range of potential sizes.
For example Hemp Rose-mallow (Hibiscus coccineus), or a red-flowered form of Swamp Rose-mallow (H. moscheutos). However, these are robust herbaceous perennials, rather than evergreen shrubs.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Consider that Hibiscus rosa-sinensis can be pruned, so a plant that may grow over three meters can be kept smaller.
Melbourne is usually frost-free, so this might be a good choice, but plant it in a sheltered spot.

Also consider other species of Hibiscus, as there are many in with red flowers in a range of potential sizes.
For example Hemp Rose-mallow (Hibiscus coccineus), or a red-flowered form of Swamp Rose-mallow (H. moscheutos). However, these are robust herbaceous perennials, rather than evergreen shrubs.
Thank you for your reply and welcome :) What I should've mentioned is that the property is tenanted so access os restricted to allow me to prune to size hence the reason I was looking for hibiscus varieties which don't grow more than 3 metres. Are the varieties you mentioned medium growing hibiscus plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Hibiscus I mentioned normally stay under 3 meters in height, though being herbaceous perennials that goes dormant in Winter, their height will vary throughout the year. If you are looking for a plant to maintain a consistent presence throughout the year, then you may prefer a shrubby Hibiscus. Besides evergreen species such as Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, there are also deciduous shrubs such as Rose-of-Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and Confederate-rose (Hibiscus mutabilis) There are red-flowered forms of Rose-of-Sharon.

Most plants will at least occasionally need some maintenance. If you are not able to access the Hibiscus, will there be somebody else that will take care of it? If access is only occasional, that should not affect pruning. Usually size reduction pruning is perfomed only once or twice a year.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The Hibiscus I mentioned normally stay under 3 meters in height, though being herbaceous perennials that goes dormant in Winter, their height will vary throughout the year. If you are looking for a plant to maintain a consistent presence throughout the year, then you may prefer a shrubby Hibiscus. Besides evergreen species such as Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, there are also deciduous shrubs such as Rose-of-Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and Confederate-rose (Hibiscus mutabilis) There are red-flowered forms of Rose-of-Sharon.

Most plants will at least occasionally need some maintenance. If you are not able to access the Hibiscus, will there be somebody else that will take care of it? If access is only occasional, that should not affect pruning. Usually size reduction pruning is perfomed only once or twice a year.
Excellent thank you so much for your information - I am very grateful. Hope you have a lovely day. Regards Jay

Ask a Question