How to Indoor winterize Hibiscus Minerva Althea and Midnight Marvel cuttings ??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've grown 2 Hibiscus from cuttings in my grow closet beginning in a "coffee mate container with air stone ", then transplanted to soil pots 10/24/2021 : Hibiscus Midnight Marvel 4" and Hibiscus Minerva Rose of Sharon Althea 6" & 2.5". ( really green and hardy ) I'm in Zone 6. I have 2 LED 40w Lights. I read where to give them bright light indoors but I have no natural bright light in my grow room. I'm not sure if I should conti nue for them to grow OR overwinter and let leaves fall out till growing season in spring and hope I don't kill them. ? Can I skip the state of overwintering and let the plants continue to grow till spring ? I hate to lose these plants. Help would be greatly appreciated. I've also read November is a good Rose of Sharon transplanting time, but doesn't say how big the plant should be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Both Hibiscus syriacus 'Minerva' and Hibiscus moscheutos 'Midnight Marvel' are hardy in USDA Zone 6. However, I do understand your concern as the plants are small and recently rooted. It should be fine to keep the plants growing overwinter indoors as long as there is enough light and heat. They might do fine outdoors in a sheltered spot, but I think keeping them in and planting them out in Spring will be the safest option. As they both bloom on new wood, it should not affect flowering, though as they are many small plants, they focus more on vegetative growth anyway, during the first year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Both Hibiscus syriacus 'Minerva' and Hibiscus moscheutos 'Midnight Marvel' are hardy in USDA Zone 6. However, I do understand your concern as the plants are small and recently rooted. It should be fine to keep the plants growing overwinter indoors as long as there is enough light and heat. They might do fine outdoors in a sheltered spot, but I think keeping them in and planting them out in Spring will be the safest option. As they both bloom on new wood, it should not affect flowering, though as they are many small plants, they focus more on vegetative growth anyway, during the first year.
Good Morning Marck

Thank you soooooo much for answering. I’m on social security, after researching, 2 yrs ago I made a Closet Grow room. I’ve grown other Hibiscus in my closet with my two 40w LED, covered table with & made curtain with sun visor’s, extra reflective film curtain, humidifier/ heater & fan as needed. Very successful with plants, so far, but didn’t start as early as these plants so I was concerned. Have a Blessed Day ! (who in the world could be so happy saving 3 plants-ME ha )

Ask a Question