Sage

Reaction score
Does anyone grow sage? I've never grown it but I bought a small plant at my local greenhouse the other day. It smells wonderful! Sage always reminds me of Thanksgiving and turkey. The tag says it is a perennial so I guess I'll plant it somewhere in my garden. What recipes do you use sage in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone grow sage? I've never grown it but I bought a small plant at my local greenhouse the other day. It smells wonderful! Sage always reminds me of Thanksgiving and turkey. The tag says it is a perennial so I guess I'll plant it somewhere in my garden. What recipes do you use sage in?
I also have sage plants. I use sage in turkey dressing but I mainly use it when I make venison sausage. It usually lives 3 or 4 years and likes a lot of sunlight, doesn't like to be wet and likes to be trimmed once in a while. I have never had an insect problem on my sage. Bugs don't seem to like it. It usually blooms in mid summer and is an evergreen plant.

Reaction score
Sage is mainly used for a poultry seasoning but it also can be used on lamb, with apples, eggs, etc. It is a strong herb so don't get carried away with it when you cook with it. I have never had a bug problem with my sage either including the plants growing near by.

Reaction score
It's good to know the bugs don't like sage. Maybe I should plant it all around my yard to keep the bugs away! :)

I eat a lot of baked chicken so maybe I will try the sage with that.

Chuck, Firelily99, thank you for your "sage" advice!

Reaction score
My friend is a hippie and a spiritual person and she burns sage to bless a new house or clear all the bad energy out of a place. I think it's called smudging.
I'm not really into it, but it's another way that people use sage.

ffaafac0f16ae8faf4d8a0e1ae4d6d0a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I made a pearl barley risotto last night which had sage in - it was really tasty! Here's the recipe:

Pearl barley, butternut squash and sage risotto

I served it as a side dish, but it would be a lovely stand alone meal too. It's worth noting that the amount of stock listed in the recipe is quite generous - I didn't need anywhere need that much.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the odd man out here but I tried fresh sage and really found it so different from the powdered dry sage that I quite didn't enjoy it! I guess you get used to a certain taste then have to develop or acquire a liking for it? Basil and Thyme are my addictions! We have so many basil plants in and outside people think we're a little nuts. lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe I'm the odd man out here but I tried fresh sage and really found it so different from the powdered dry sage that I quite didn't enjoy it! I guess you get used to a certain taste then have to develop or acquire a liking for it? Basil and Thyme are my addictions! We have so many basil plants in and outside people think we're a little nuts. lol.
Every year I basically strip my sage plants, but not all at one time. I then take the leaves and put them on a piece of tin foil in my dehydrator and when dried crumble them up fairly fine and put them in the freezer. I am not much of a fan of fresh green sage myself

Reaction score
Its good not to be alone sometimes. lol. I actually havent tried dehydrating fresh sage! Does it taste similar or probably better than the stuff prepackaged? I may just go out and get some sage again and give it a shot. It IS a pretty plant in a herb garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Its good not to be alone sometimes. lol. I actually havent tried dehydrating fresh sage! Does it taste similar or probably better than the stuff prepackaged? I may just go out and get some sage again and give it a shot. It IS a pretty plant in a herb garden.
It tastes just like the sage you find in the spice section in cans. I suppose you could put the dried leaves into a food processor to get a more even texture like the store bought but for my uses I like larger flakes in my sausage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like to make herb crusted chicken and sage is one of the main ingredients I use on top. Add some thyme and rosemary as well and your chicken will taste like a little piece of heaven! You can also freeze the left overs into cubes and add it to soups when the weather cools down.

Reaction score
It's good to know the bugs don't like sage. Maybe I should plant it all around my yard to keep the bugs away! :)

I eat a lot of baked chicken so maybe I will try the sage with that.

Chuck, Firelily99, thank you for your "sage" advice!
You are welcome! Did you know that if you plant mums around your veggie garden that they act as a deterrent to rabbits? Apparently the leaves are poisonous so the bunnies stay away from them.

Reaction score
Oh, that's right. I've seen Theresa burning sage on Long Island Medium. That pearl barley risotto looks delicious. Thanks, I am always on the lookout for new recipes! I tried butternut squash for the first time last year and I really like it. The herb crusted chicken sounds really good too. I'm making myself hungry!

Ask a Question