Rustic Greenhouse Project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well I did make a filter but that was another DIY project lol...will post how to build one at a later date
You need to provide shade...Too much sunlight will produce algal blooms

Tidy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice job .. I like the green stain on the wood
To be honest...I really do like the colour, its in keeping with my surroundings, but it does have a downside. I built this structure from leftover timber from a place I worked at in 2016...some of it was rough sawn and some was planed all round...the preservative adheres and soaks into these aspects differently therefore you end up applying a great many coats....so what was cheap initally to buy became a false economy in the amount of coatings I had to apply to reach the desired effect.....It needs repainting again this year but I'm waiting for Summer to actually kick in and give us some clement weather....I have steered away from using the same product and purchased some proper Garden Paint (with a thicker consistancy) which, in essence should give me a better look and longevity...almost the same colour (Cuprinol Shades Somerset Green)....so within the next few weeks I'll tackle this job.....

CUPGSHSG1L.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
First Tomatoes appeared today..small green globes of Alicante...nothing yet on the Cherry or the Beefsteak types but plenty of flowers.....Manual pollination in process...pics to follow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As promised here are the first ("Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe") of 2017 :)

First 2017.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
With more and more tomatoes appearing daily, and space at a premium now I really wish I'd added another foot or two to its length, but I suppose the same scenario would be reached again at some point :) ..I need to get this structure painted while the weather is fine but I need to be in the mood :)....Another distraction is visiting garden centres, whereby today my Chilli fetish just grew to another level...I purchased Apache (circa £2) and Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (circa £5)... not bad prices I thought whilst I await my seeds to germinate for next years run.....Bye Heck its warm in there today :)

Apache.jpg

"Apache"

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.jpg

"Trinidad Moruga Scorpion"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Today 25/06/2017
I planted some Carolina Reaper chilli seed and placed in propagator (to see if they germinate, if not I will arm myself with a small electrified version for a windowsill in the house until they do) I also sowed some
Geranium (Hardy) pratense Mixed Seed. The cucumbers have attained their secondary leaves and are growing well...I found a quite large Beefsteak tomato on the vine, which I'm quite chuffed about...must be doing something right :) I go in about 3 times a day and MIST quite a lot, dunno if I should be doing this but it seems to be working for all of the Fruit and Veg in there...Does anyone else hand mist their greenhouse???.....I have a DIY sprinkler/irrigation system linked up within the structure all I need to do is connect the hose to the fitting outside and regulate the flow...Somehow I overlook this aspect that I built in, prefering instead to Hand Mist everything.

Hot house view.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Funny how the secondary leaves of my Baby Cucumber var. are completely different to its initial seedling greenery ...

20170625_172856.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah thank you @MoonShadows
Another project I keep giving myself.:)...it matures better with age and that reminds me it will need another lick of preserve very soon. I had a prefab polycarbonate one before and the succumbed to adverse weather conditions and practacally blew away....but I always wanted a traditional wooden structure...and I think I made a good job of it..and you are correct in saying it blends in good and is productive.
Thanks for your kind comments.
Regards
C

beef1.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice. They also have that fake wood they use on decking so you would not have to worry about wood rot as much.

Ask a Question