Split-Rail Fence - DIY Rustic Split Cedar Rail Fence

Reaction score
Hello friends,

To give a more rustic look in front of the house, I decided to make a cedar rail fence. Authentic, ancestry or country style design fence. I can't find anything on the Internet to guide me for this building. So I share to you my experiment as a result of field observations and building. The anti-fungal properties of cedar requires no special maintenance !
Idea to add rustic appeal to your backyard!

See in my garden ---> Making a rustic fence with cedar rails

Tools:
rail-fence-diy.jpg

Reaction score
Hello friends,

To give a more rustic look in front of the house, I decided to make a cedar rail fence. Authentic, ancestry or country style design fence. I can't find anything on the Internet to guide me for this building. So I share to you my experiment as a result of field observations and building. The anti-fungal properties of cedar requires no special maintenance !
Idea to add rustic appeal to your backyard!

See in my garden ---> Making a rustic fence with cedar rails

Tools:
rail-fence-diy.jpg
This post just totally brought back memories of my childhood. :) In the home we grew up in, along the sides of our very long driveway, we had a split rail fence. We had it for years and it was painted white. I can picture it now and how it looked. I remember walking down that driveway many times to wait for the bus with my 2 brothers. :) Seems like just yesterday, but I'm 42 and have kids of my own now. :)

I lost my brother almost 4 years ago this October 20th. He was only 33 :( I miss him everyday but love when memories like this come back to me. :) Thank you for that.

I know this will look amazing and bring many memories to you and your family as well.

Thank you,
Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like it! Unfortunately, I can't have a fence like this, because my dog could easily jump over the lower cedar rail and run away from our garden. I know his dream is to attack cats that live on the other side of our street;)
But it doesn't change the fact that this fence looks great.

Reaction score
Split rail fences can look really nice. I always enjoy seeing what people use too- finding creative ways to use what they already have lying around. I would think that you can add some sort of chicken wire or similar fencing to make a split rail fence suitable to actually work as a fence that keeps some sorts of critters inside- like ducks or small dogs or well supervised children perhaps.

I hear that black locust wood is good for posts, and just about any softwood (like cedar) is good for rails. I suspect that anything you have available that won't rot easily would work though.

I came across some other beautiful ideas for fencing that utilize materials that might be readily available in many areas.

Great post, thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Low open fencing, such as a rustic cedar rail fence, lends itself well to doubly serve as a trellis for robust rambling vines, such as climbing roses (Rosa spp. & cvs.) and grapes (Vitis spp).

Ask a Question