Round up for weeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I do not have a problem walking all through my landscape spot spraying unwanted weeds once in a while,

It really helps cut down on weeding when you knock em down when they are small

If you do spray some thing you didn't mean to wash it with the hose

Jed

Reaction score
I'm not big on weed sprays but I make one exception on my property and it's the cursed Californian thistle also known as the creeping thistle. It mostly spreads by deep underground roots but does occasionally have fertilized flowers and sends off down seed. Apparently one huge area can be one plant. I spray with glysophate or what is also known as Round-Up.
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/internnsf/WebPages/LBUN-7YYU6K?open

Reaction score
is round up toxic? what are the warnings?? never use such chemicals, rather I get them out the old fashion way. thistles attract bees and bees are good, so how is that bad? I have a nice thistle that my dog Bear planted, followed him home last year from the river, seed pod stuck to his tail. So I left the one thistle where it grew, decorated it nice with wood chips and rocks, and it grew into a beautiful bush of purple thistles. It grew nice beside my wild tomatos and that year and I got more bees than ever before! My lady friend that works at a garden centre commented on the nice plant, she did not reconize it all dressed up with wood chips and rocks and remarked how lovely the plant was!

Jed

Reaction score
It's great to hear callingcolleen1 you encourage the bees to your garden and give them a food source. We should all provide for bees. Without bees and other insects pollinating our food sources, we would have a huge problem
I use it outside my gardens and spray reluctantly. There's no way to dig the weed out as all broken bits grow new plants unlike the scotch thistle, you no doubt have.
If that one of yours goes to seed, it will send thousands of down thistle seeds in the air and they will spread throughout your neighbourhood. They are a pain in the butt, especially if you have to grub out a big patch. I suggest you don't let it go to seed.

The thistle I have does not attract insects as the flowers do not open properly.
I have broccoli plants which go to seed and attract many bees. that's why I leave them in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
is round up toxic?

Yes!

There are too many non-chemical, eco-friendly alternatives such as salt, baking soda, or vinegar to use Roundup or any other chemical. The best thing to do is to pull up weeds and put down mulch to maintain your yard before weeds get out of control.

Using chemicals affects everyone, not just you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I can appreciate people going natural thats fine its great , i don't have a problem with the way others garden
i am a sprayer

Reaction score
I tried using vinegar with mixed success and I also have gone the route of pulling them. However with as much landscaping that I have I could never keep up with the weeds if I didn't use a spray of some sort. I also put down preen in the early spring to assist with the weeds. I am cautious around the pond but everywhere else its fair game. The biggest weed I have is nutgrass, I have it everywhere and I would be pulling weeds every day without the sprays.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That nut grass is tough stuff
i use preen also
My biggest problem was my neighbors maple tree in the spring i must have pulled up at least a million little trees over the years.
Got cut down two springs ago I'm in heaven

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I use roundup on some areas of the garden - especially near our driveway as there's nothing else nearby, but we do get regular weeds coming up between paving flags that aren't easy to pull up. A little spray every few months keeps it under control :)

Jed

Reaction score
I tried a bio dynamic recipe with the help of a friend on my creeping thistles without a result. I did pull the fully grown once out on another occasion but the following year they just popped up again. I haven't tried salt which I may try as an experiment sometime. I know salt can work for weeds between cracks of paving stones. There needs to be care taken though not to let salt get to garden beds.

Reaction score
I use round up away from food plants. The driveway is terrible for weeds that nothing seems to kill, although I'm going to experiment with salt water this summer and see if that will kill it off. I raise chickens and they always seem to go where I spray if they happen to be outside shortly after. It won't kill them but I don't like them in it. I try to tell everyone when I spray not to let them out until it soaks into the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Yes!

There are too many non-chemical, eco-friendly alternatives such as salt, baking soda, or vinegar to use Roundup or any other chemical. The best thing to do is to pull up weeds and put down mulch to maintain your yard before weeds get out of control.

Using chemicals affects everyone, not just you.
I completely agree with you. Using Roundup should never be considered as an option.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The cracks on the driveway have been sprayed with weed killer and I have poured vinegar on the weeds but they keep coming back. It does slow the growth down a little but the will to live is strong even in a weed.

Reaction score
If you use such chemicals for the "easy way out" be aware that there is always a price to pay and sooner or later you just may find the "easy way out" of life!! Did you know that that stuff is toxic to fish??? If you have a pond, a small amount can kill all your fish!! This is VERY true! I have fish and refuse to use such stuff, if it kills the fish, WHAT DO YOU THINK IT WILL DO TO YOU!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I am sure I wouldn't eat any of my chickens or their eggs if the yard had been sprayed with Monsanto's Roundup.

"(NaturalNews) A Danish pig farmer has admitted on national television that Monsanto's Roundup Ready soybeans harmed his herd and he is now calling for a ban on all transgenic feed treated with glyphosate. Ib Borup Pedersen says his pigs grew ill, lost their appetite and developed diarrhea, among other symptoms, after he fed them genetically-modified (GM) soybeans treated with Roundup, a mistake he says he will never make again."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/045251_pigs_GM_soy_genetically_modified_feed.html#ixzz32SW91SBF

Ask a Question