Rosemay Hedge....Should It Stay or Should It Go?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20171103_045046.jpg
rps20171103_045107.jpg
rps20171103_045023.jpg
These hedges were planted 6 years ago. It's in a very handy position for me and I am always zipping down (well slowly zipping:p) and grabbing some for my cooking. One bush died on the left side hedge so I dug it out and the hedge on the right is looking very woody. As it is not looking good I am wondering if it should go. I use it all the time so I'm reluctant to get rid of the rosemary from here but it just isn't up to scratch:confused:. I have read that rosemary doesn't take kindly to heavy pruning. Do you think these can be prettied up?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are bound to be like that when they are 3 or 4 years old. You can replace them. I love my draping one more than my upright one. Draping one is more curvy and sinewy, lovingly hugging my raised bed.

You could either take cuttings which will be like this when they get older, or give it a hard prune in winter. Or bury the lower bit in compost and remove the old stems and let the new stems take over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks alp. Is the curvy rosemary still good for cooking as i like the sound of that. Do ypu have any pics to show us?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I use them as well. I have them in my roasted potatoes every week, much to my son's annoyance as they became loose dry stick when dinner is served. Will take a pic tomorrow. I personally would not kill them as they smell so nice and they are said to contribute to the longevity of people in the Mediterraneans.. allegedly ..

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...ay-be-secret-to-longevity-in-italian-village/

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-centenarian-mediterranean-diet-a7230956.html
Very interesting reading alp. I might gave to try rosemary with my breakfast as well;):LOL::rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Deborah, you are correct....rosemary does not respond well to hard pruning. Sorry alp,,no hard pruning and never in winter :(This is why I prune closely from young every year. I have had one rosemary for 15 years or so now and still looks fresh :)

I would purchase another or take cuttings of yours if it is a good flowering sort...i.e. with good dark blue flowers and not the usual insipid varieties. I suggest you grow a replacement for a year in a pot then replace your old bushes. Ideally, grow elsewhere though.
Incidentally, there are some really good blue flowered upright rosemaries now....the prostrate ones have usually had the best flowers. Look out for Mrs Read's Dark, brilliant blue flowers and very dark rich foliage :)
Sprigs of rosemary over a bbq have a fantastic aroma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i realise it is spring now in Australia but my point about pruning was essentially two fold....never hard prune rosemary and never in winter . Both could be fatal to rosemary. What I mean by old wood is unproductive/very old wood. If the old wood is viable/productive, it could respond
In my experience cutting into old.....wood older than say 4 years.....will result in die back. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has cut a rosemary back to stumps and rejuvenated it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Rosemary is my favorite herb. I have had mixed results growing it in the past but now have a beautiful plant in a large pot. The thought of digging up a healthy Rosemary plant just gives me the shivers. :eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love rosemary too. But @DeborahJane go for a draping one as you would not have the same old untidy bush again. I will go and take a pic of my draping rosemary when there is light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The "draping" varieties have had the best blue flowers but there are one or two excellent upright ones available too. The prostrate varieties though are vigorous and hardly compact. Why grow the ordinary rosemary when you can grow rosemary with superb flowers?
As to whether rosemary can be hard pruned I can only suggest you try it. Let us know how it responds. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My draping rosemary - 3 to 4 years at least. Dense with lovely blue flowers which look like little men ..
SAM_0079.JPG

SAM_0080.JPG

Draping right to the ground and so dense that you can't see any inner stems. A lovely investment for a pot or a raised border and for culinary uses.. Please ignore that stem which belongs to an apple experiment. Will be removed when I move ..

Ask a Question