Rose care

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I’ve been really happy/surprised with the growth in my rose bushes this year, as well as how many flowers I have already been getting. I’ve only fertilized with bone meal a few time during the late winter and have watered about 1-2 gallons/week. My big questions: As the weather has improved I have been quickly seeing an onslaught of aphids on my roses. I’ve been using a neem oil spray about 2x/week and manually removing them whenever I see them, but can’t seem to stay ahead of them. Will neem oil hurt beneficial bugs (especially ladybugs) and is it even worth trying to keep the aphids at bay from my roses? The more that are on the roses (in my front yard) the less that I’m seeing in the backyard vegetable garden.
D5276F06-2278-4723-94D3-EA282A5E6BB8.jpeg
AA45A4B1-2A60-4198-8206-CEFBBDCF7908.jpeg
4123A350-63F0-420E-8E27-666E88B01919.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Neem oil is a natural product but I've not used it so I don't know how effective it is. I've sprayed on soapy water in the past that tends to kill them off. Try to keep the bases of the roses clear of anything but soil as this helps to attract bugs.

I’ve only fertilized with bone meal a few time during the late winter

Roses shouldn't be fertilised until the first leaves start to appear and will only need feeding once at that time. I've attached a link for you to read that may be helpful. :)

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for that @Sheal
My roses really never go truly dormant since I'm in Phoenix, so pretty much my bushes look like the picture above minus the actual flowers. I appreciate your ideas, however!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome @DrMike27. It's difficult to make judgments for different countries and the areas within them. If you work with as close to dormancy as possible then there shouldn't be a problem. Roses are tough plants on the whole but do need attention when necessary.

Ask a Question