Care for rose plants.My rose plants are out of shape?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have some 7-8 roses in my balcony. They all are fine and healthy! But I have noticed that they all are out of shape. I mean they like grow unevenly. They really don't look that pleasant. And I have plated them in cement pots. Thus making their appearance even worst. I really don't know what to do? Because they don't grow out evenly. But I think that's because I don't take proper care of them :(. Like I have used fertilizer when I potted them which was some 3-4 months ago. And I just water them. That's it. What can I do so that there will growth along all sides And also can someone please tell me basic care for a Rose plant? Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion taking care of roses isn't difficult at all, so don't worry:) All they need is water and maybe a fertilizer. Rose fertilizers are widely available and they're relatively inexpensive.
If you want your roses to have a pretty shape, prune them. Pruning will make them produce more flowers:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
In my opinion taking care of roses isn't difficult at all, so don't worry:) All they need is water and maybe a fertilizer. Rose fertilizers are widely available and they're relatively inexpensive.
If you want your roses to have a pretty shape, prune them. Pruning will make them produce more flowers:)
Hmm. Maybe I should how to prune them then? Because all I do is just prune the roses after they dry out. Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hmm. Maybe I should how to prune them then? Because all I do is just prune the roses after they dry out. Thank you for your suggestion. :)
Just shorten those branches that seem too long to you, that's it:) You can plant the cuttings in soil, there are big chances that they'll produce roots and, after some time, you'll have even more rose bushes:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Just shorten those branches that seem too long to you, that's it:) You can plant the cuttings in soil, there are big chances that they'll produce roots and, after some time, you'll have even more rose bushes:)
Oh.. OK! Thank you. :) I think I will just leave them for sometime till they grow more and then prune them. I will get fertilizer this weekend. Thank you once again. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No problem:) If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask:) We have many gardening experts here. I love roses and I've been growing them for a few years now, but I'm still learning how to take a good care of them, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
No problem:) If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask:) We have many gardening experts here. I love roses and I've been growing them for a few years now, but I'm still learning how to take a good care of them, too.
Yeah of course, I will. :) Oh.. I am still a beginner. I am new to gardening but still I am happy with my work now. Though I am not an expert like you people. I hope I will get to be one some day. :)

Reaction score
I have some 7-8 roses in my balcony. They all are fine and healthy! But I have noticed that they all are out of shape. I mean they like grow unevenly. They really don't look that pleasant. And I have plated them in cement pots. Thus making their appearance even worst. I really don't know what to do? Because they don't grow out evenly. But I think that's because I don't take proper care of them :(. Like I have used fertilizer when I potted them which was some 3-4 months ago. And I just water them. That's it. What can I do so that there will growth along all sides And also can someone please tell me basic care for a Rose plant? Thank you.

Since you're in India I'm assuming it's fairly warm spring there now, like here. This is pretty much the heaviest blooming time. So as not to lose any future buds, I wouldn't do a lot of heavy pruning/shaping now. When you cut a flower to put inside, look carefully at the whole bush. If that particular branch is one you find too leggy or sticks out too much, then cut the flower stem a little longer than necessary. That way at least one branch is a little more compact. Cut your blooms more often like that and your bush will look better by late summer. Then look at your bush and do a more heavy shaping. Then in early fall, your bush will sprout back out and bloom even more for you.
I'm assuming you're not growing climbing roses.Good luck. Also you should fertilize them right after you do that last heavy pruning.

Reaction score

Me too Claudine and there's so much to learn. I just need more room for so many new varieties they come out with every year haha. Have you seen the new Pope John Paul II rose? Beautiful white and I do happen to need a pure white! Ugh space and money haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Me too Claudine and there's so much to learn. I just need more room for so many new varieties they come out with every year haha. Have you seen the new Pope John Paul II rose? Beautiful white and I do happen to need a pure white! Ugh space and money haha.
So far, I've seen the Pope John Paul II rose only in pictures. It's really pretty:) White flowers are my favorite. I have one white miniature rose, it's my dearest plant. Unfortunately, it lost all its leaves and it doesn't want to grow. I don't know what happened. I don't see any pests on it and I fertilize it regularly. All my roses seem to be sick:(

Reaction score
So far, I've seen the Pope John Paul II rose only in pictures. It's really pretty:) White flowers are my favorite. I have one white miniature rose, it's my dearest plant. Unfortunately, it lost all its leaves and it doesn't want to grow. I don't know what happened. I don't see any pests on it and I fertilize it regularly. All my roses seem to be sick:(

My miniatures all go through periods with awful looking leaves, some get almost bare.Several have died through the years. Blackspot is my problem with our climate in south Louisiana. Where are you? Do your leaves get black spots then eventually fall off? Blackspot will strip the plant bare of leaves and when that happens it's a goner most often. Or do you think it's insects? I wouldn't fertilize any that are looking unusually poorly though. I read that somewhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Since you're in India I'm assuming it's fairly warm spring there now, like here. This is pretty much the heaviest blooming time. So as not to lose any future buds, I wouldn't do a lot of heavy pruning/shaping now. When you cut a flower to put inside, look carefully at the whole bush. If that particular branch is one you find too leggy or sticks out too much, then cut the flower stem a little longer than necessary. That way at least one branch is a little more compact. Cut your blooms more often like that and your bush will look better by late summer. Then look at your bush and do a more heavy shaping. Then in early fall, your bush will sprout back out and bloom even more for you.
I'm assuming you're not growing climbing roses.Good luck. Also you should fertilize them right after you do that last heavy pruning.
This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My miniatures all go through periods with awful looking leaves, some get almost bare.Several have died through the years. Blackspot is my problem with our climate in south Louisiana. Where are you? Do your leaves get black spots then eventually fall off? Blackspot will strip the plant bare of leaves and when that happens it's a goner most often. Or do you think it's insects? I wouldn't fertilize any that are looking unusually poorly though. I read that somewhere.
I live in Poland. I keep my roses indoors.
I don't think it's blackspot, I haven't noticed any black spots on leaves. They look healthy and they're green, but they fall off:cry: After a week or so all branches turn yellow, then brown and a whole plant dies:cry: It happened to four of my miniature roses already.
I didn't know that I shouldn't rertilize the poorly looking ones, I'll stop doing it.

Reaction score
I live in Poland. I keep my roses indoors.
I don't think it's blackspot, I haven't noticed any black spots on leaves. They look healthy and they're green, but they fall off:cry: After a week or so all branches turn yellow, then brown and a whole plant dies:cry: It happened to four of my miniature roses already.
I didn't know that I shouldn't rertilize the poorly looking ones, I'll stop doing it.

Growing them inside... sure you don't have any insect or blackspot problems. I'm thinking maybe not enough light or over/under watering maybe? Do you have a very bright lighting system on them at least 8 hours a day? They need so much light. I doubt a bright window would even be enough... despite what magazines and websites say. What do you think? Also could it be over or under watering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Growing them inside... sure you don't have any insect or blackspot problems. I'm thinking maybe not enough light or over/under watering maybe? Do you have a very bright lighting system on them at least 8 hours a day? They need so much light. I doubt a bright window would even be enough... despite what magazines and websites say. What do you think? Also could it be over or under watering?
I've been growing them for almost four years now and I always keep them on a windowsill in my room. During previous years everything was fine, so I don't think that they don't enough light.
But it's possible that I was over watering them. Now, I do this less often, but they still don't look good and don't grow:(

Ask a Question