Rose Bushes Will Not Flower...

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a friend who bought several rose bushes and planted them around a small fence he has. They have been growing very well, nice vibrant green leaves and seem to be bigger every time I go over there. The problem is, they are not flowering. Seriously, not even a single bud on any of his bushes. Is he doing something wrong? What can he do to get these bushes to bloom?

Reaction score
Hi Anna Ramsey - as from your description - your friends roses sound to be getting enough moisture because they are extremely healthy looking - the only reasons that I can think of as why they are not flowering - is because they have recently been planted and are still settling in or as not all rose varieties flower throughout the year - these roses are one of those varieties that only flowers at a specific time and finally although it doesn't sound to be the case - they may need some potassium rich fertilizer - which is always best applied at the first signs of growth in the spring and then periodically throughout the growing season :)

Reaction score
You might look at the fertilizer that your friend is using (if any). Some ratios of nutrients are good at promoting leaf and stem growth while others are designed to promote budding and flowers. Too much fertilizer will often keep plants green and leafy but will not trigger budding. I would suggest that if your friend is fertilizing, that it be held back for a while. When fertilizer is reintroduced, try one specifically designed for roses.

One other thing to check is for old dead buds. They need to be cut off the plant when the old flowers die or the hormones in the plant will tell the plant that it has already gone to seed and doesn't need to make more flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Give it some time. My roses never bloom right after I transplant or plant them. Your friend needs to be patient. A good fertilizer and some pruning can help, too:) Don't worry, if the roses look healthy, then everything is fine. I'm sure that soon or later, they'll start producing lots and lots of flowers:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If your friend eats bananas, one easy way to feed the roses potassium is to throw the peel on the ground at the base of the bush. He can also make a foliar spray by steeping the banana peels in water for a week or two. Miracle Grow makes a plant food specifically for roses, but he may want to look into specific information for his specific type of rose.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a friend who bought several rose bushes and planted them around a small fence he has. They have been growing very well, nice vibrant green leaves and seem to be bigger every time I go over there. The problem is, they are not flowering. Seriously, not even a single bud on any of his bushes. Is he doing something wrong? What can he do to get these bushes to bloom?

Make sure they're getting a lot of sun. The more sun, the more blooms in general.... but even in half a day shade, there should be a few blooms now and then.

Ask a Question