Are there roses bushes that never bloom?

Reaction score
Country
Honduras
I have two roses bushes, one that blooms beautiful every year, and one that seems to never bloom. It hasn't bloomed in the last three years I've lived here. Also the leaves appear to get a white fungus on it's leaves. I'm about to chop it down. It doesn't seem worth to take up the space just for a thorny bush. Does anyone know if there are bushes that never bloom? Or how to get them to bloom?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have two roses bushes, one that blooms beautiful every year, and one that seems to never bloom. It hasn't bloomed in the last three years I've lived here. Also the leaves appear to get a white fungus on it's leaves. I'm about to chop it down. It doesn't seem worth to take up the space just for a thorny bush. Does anyone know if there are bushes that never bloom? Or how to get them to bloom?
I don't know what the white stuff is without seeing it but it is possible that the reason it doesn't bloom is because the bush is growing from root stock. It was probably a grafted rose and the grafted part died leaving just the root stock. My wife has one doing the same thing but I am too lazy to go dig it up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...it is possible that the reason it doesn't bloom is because the bush is growing from root stock. It was probably a grafted rose and the grafted part died leaving just the root stock. My wife has one doing the same thing but I am too lazy to go dig it up

If it is just the root stock, could she graft onto again from another blooming plant?

@Maria, I have never heard of a rose bush that doesn't bloom. Have you tried feeding it? You may have to get an expert from a nursery or agricultural center out to look at it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it is just the root stock, could she graft onto again from another blooming plant?

@Maria, I have never heard of a rose bush that doesn't bloom. Have you tried feeding it? You may have to get an expert from a nursery or agricultural center out to look at it.
I have never done it but I am sure it is possible to do another graft

Reaction score

To be honest from what you describe it sounds very much to me like your rose is suffering from powdery mildew - which if it is - the white substance you describe will have a powdery texture to it.

Unfortunately - apart from not having regularly pruned or deadheaded a rose - powdery mildew is known to be one of the main reasons why roses don't flower - however although there are many treatments for treating this - like for instance Green Cure which is organic and excellent on roses - as there are some varieties of rose bushes that are very resistant to this fungus and others that just seem to attract it - the latter of which - even after curing it one year it will return again the following year - it may well be worth considering replacing your rose with a more resistant variety that will reward you with an abundance of healthy blooms year after year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, there are no roses that never bloom. Don't give up:)
Try to wash your rose's leaves with water and dish soap. I'm sure it will kill the white fungus. I had the same problem with some of my miniatures and washing them helped a lot.

Ask a Question