Why do some bushes not produce as many roses?

Reaction score
My Aunt and Uncle have had rose bushes for years. They have had 4 of them living healthy and producing beautiful flowers for a very long time. 2 years ago they had a deck built and lined the deck with a flower garden. In this flower garden they included 3 new rose bushes roped to the lattice work on the deck and it looks great! The only thing is that 1 of the 3 bushes has a lot of beautiful roses and the other 2 barely get any flowers. They are nicely spaced and not over crowded. They are also all 3 the same type of rose (I forget the name) just 2 of them are white roses and the other is orange. Only 1 white rose bush is blooming nicely. The other plants are healthy and growing nicely, just not really producing many flowers.

Is there a reason that this could be happening? They have never had a problem with rose bushes before.

dim

Reaction score
are they all getting the same amount of sunlight per day? (some rose bushes need a minimum of 6 hrs of sun per day to be at their best)

could also be that the roots are restricted from spreading?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do they prune them often? Roses really like to be pruned, they won't produce any flowers without it. Also, a nice fertilizer may help - I give some to my roses regularly and they bloom beautifully.

Reaction score
Let your roses snack on bananas.
When you get banana peels let them dry out till crisp (I'd put them in the oven at 200 for several hours till crisp)
Then when they are done break them up in small pieces then bury them a few inches in the soil around the bushes.
They need potassium and calcium.

Toss egg shells into the water jug and leave them sit at least over night. Roses get a lot out of that.

Reaction score
Do they prune them often? Roses really like to be pruned, they won't produce any flowers without it. Also, a nice fertilizer may help - I give some to my roses regularly and they bloom beautifully.
Yeah my Aunt and Uncle have had rose bushes for the past 40 years so they do a good job caring for them with pruning and fertilizer. These are a bit different then the ones they have had throughout the years tho. The bushes are all growing the same size, just 2 of them barely have flowers :( The bushes were planted 2 years ago I believe it was. But I also think this is the first time they had ever planted marigolds close to roses if that makes a difference. They planted a bunch around the bushes to add some color to the ground.

Reaction score
Let your roses snack on bananas.
When you get banana peels let them dry out till crisp (I'd put them in the oven at 200 for several hours till crisp)
Then when they are done break them up in small pieces then bury them a few inches in the soil around the bushes.
They need potassium and calcium.

Toss egg shells into the water jug and leave them sit at least over night. Roses get a lot out of that.
I have heard of the banana thing but haven't tried it. Roses will reward you more often if you baby them a bit more than other plants. Once I did that they would bloom into December if it was warm enough.

Reaction score
Roses also like plenty of sunlight. Are your aunt and uncle's roses getting enough sunlight? There may be too much shade where they are.
Also, thanks so much, gardengirl, for sharing your tip about banana peels. I haven't heard of this one but I do want to try it.

Ask a Question