West wall bushes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello,
I am looking for bushes to plant along the west wall of my brick house between the driveway and the house. I live in the Houston area in zone 9.5, and I'd really like to plant a row of bushes that will flower and attract hummingbirds and butterflies. I'm considering planting a row of scarlet bottlebrushes.

Does anyone know if these will do well on a sunny west wall? Also this is next to my driveway so as a flowering bush, I know there will be bees, but I'm wondering if there will be a swarm of bees making it dangerous for kids to get out of the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a west wall hummingbird attractor that they have had success with?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Good question. Hummers are cool. We mainly attract them with nectar feeders and of course they like the red and yellow colors. Do you think that wall gets incredibly hot? It would certainly be possible given your location. We see temps on grass north of 125f here in deep summer. I could imagine 135f or more on that wall. Does your plant choice suffer heat well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A quick googling shows water needs are not droughty until the plant matures. Other than that it looks good. I guess you would need to mulch to prevent excess water loss. I would suggest checking the PH in that area so you know the best amendment.

Ask a Question