I know nothing about rose bushes...

Reaction score
So I bought a rose bush; a small one. I planted it, fed it, watered it, and it only got a couple blooms that were really weak. How often should I water it? I live in a pretty hot climate that reaches over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I wish I could tell you what kind it was. Looks like a typical rose bush.

Reaction score
So I bought a rose bush; a small one. I planted it, fed it, watered it, and it only got a couple blooms that were really weak. How often should I water it? I live in a pretty hot climate that reaches over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I wish I could tell you what kind it was. Looks like a typical rose bush.

Hi Colene,
Is it outside in the ground and a sunny location? A hot climate in summer you may have to water it good every day. How long have you had it?.What part of the country are you in? Did it come in a peat pot you could plant into the soil? Can you post a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you water give it a good soaking. Probably about 1 inch a week. You cannot overwater a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering it too often. And don't forget to feed it once in a while too

Reaction score
When you water give it a good soaking. Probably about 1 inch a week. You cannot overwater a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering it too often. And don't forget to feed it once in a while too

I agree Chuck for a rose that is established and been growing for awhile there. I'm thinking she just got the rose not long ago. And especially with 100.degree weather, a newly planted rose cannot dry out at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
During the hottest days of summer, I water my roses once every two days.
When did you plant your rose? It's possible that it needs a little more time to accommodate to a new place. If I were you, I'd just be patient and maybe give it more water.

Reaction score
Hi Colene - I would agree with what Chuck has said in that it is better to water less often but thoroughly and preferably in the morning - as watering everyday - regardless of temperature will put your rose at risk of becoming diseased - especially as roses are prone to what is called " powdery mildew " when given excess and frequent waterings.

I also grow roses in a hot climate - similar to yours with temperatures that hover around 114 -119 Fahrenheit for months on end and have found that even with these temperatures - it is not necessary to water more than every 5 days to once a week whether the rose is established or not - but if in doubt - its always best to check the soil prior to watering.

The reason why you are not seeing an abundance of strong blooms - is because as your rose is newly planted and not yet established and is busy putting all of its strength into putting its roots down - it won't have the strength to produce strong blooms - which is why it is best to remove the buds before they bloom at this stage - as by doing this it will allow your rose to establish itself more quickly - as well as be stronger and healthier.

So at this stage - there really is nothing more to be done other than wait and providing that you remove the blooms at bud stage and don't let it entirely dry out while it is establishing itself - as well as making sure that your rose is planted in an area that receives plenty of sunlight and given a good feed with a potassium rich fertilizer - it will start thriving and producing strong blooms in next to no time :)

Reaction score
A good layer of mulch would be very beneficial given the temps that you are describing. Again, less times watering and more water when you do that would be an inch per week. When you water daily or almost daily the roots stop reaching downward and they can get over saturated and drown from lack of oxygen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Perhaps give your rose bush some rose feed, which can be purchased at just about any nursery. Some plants go through a little shock when they are planted in the garden, so maybe some patience and love are the only things your bush needs to get started. Give it a week or so and see what it looks like after that.

Reaction score
A good layer of mulch would be very beneficial given the temps that you are describing. Again, less times watering and more water when you do that would be an inch per week. When you water daily or almost daily the roots stop reaching downward and they can get over saturated and drown from lack of oxygen.

Yes! I forgot about mulch. ty

Ask a Question