am i bound to see nothing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hello all -i tried corn this year - i live in N.C. it is very hot 90 every day - the corn is give or take 3 ft. high and it has those tassles is it too much too early - HELP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hello all -i tried corn this year - i live in N.C. it is very hot 90 every day - the corn is give or take 3 ft. high and it has those tassles is it too much too early - HELP
How large are the ears. They should be somewhere near the middle of the plant extruding from where a leaf and the stem join. Goldish or greennish colored silk should be showing. The pollen from the tassles land on the silk and this pollinates the corn. If you don't have this yet I am afraid its too late.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
there are no ears that`s what`s confusing - AND i know i planted on time - like i said it was my 1st. time so somewhere i goofed -

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
there are no ears that`s what`s confusing - AND i know i planted on time - like i said it was my 1st. time so somewhere i goofed -
The only reason I can think of where there are zero ears is a lack of nitrogen. Corn is a grass and therefore a heavy nitrogen user. Which variety of corn is it. If you stuck the seeds in the ground at the proper time and they germinated you didn't goof up. Three feet tall and showing tassles seems pretty short for corn but maybe its just a varietal issue. Anyway all you can do is wait and see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My wife and I took a ride today through Warren and Vance County and were amazed at the size of the corn already. I think this is going to be a freak year where everything comes together perfectly for a bumper crop. Much of the corn was already 4 feet tall and had huge leaves. If this continues we will have local corn by the 4th of July. The tobacco is also doing great in certain areas. If we can maintain a reasonable amount of moisture, this could be a great year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It has been so nice here, I tried corn, too. Right now it is about a foot high, which is WAY bigger than usual for this time of year in this zone. I am hopeful !!

Ask a Question