Rose bushes are too tall...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gata Montes is correct. Why not train your rose on some kind trellis and let it grow like it does naturally? Your house being brick it would be easy to do and in a year or two will be spectacular

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I trimmed it today.... Basically just cut off a few branches that were kind of in the way of the porch, then cut off all the dead flowers. It looks nicer than it did. I'll just leave it for now and maybe cut a foot or so off later. Would it be best to do that in the early spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is the other bush I mentioned. I'm not sure what to do with it. It is sort of "falling" over to the left. It had been tied together. Would tying it together tighter at the bottom help it out any?

Attachments

• PicsArt_1402685269002.jpg
    PicsArt_1402685269002.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,150
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is the other bush I mentioned. I'm not sure what to do with it. It is sort of "falling" over to the left. It had been tied together. Would tying it together tighter at the bottom help it out any?
I can't really tell what it is. Can you get a closeup of the leaves and stems. It looks like some type of bush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's also a rose Bush. This flower is on it now, a week ago it had tons of these flowers on it.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1402687591774.jpg
    PicsArt_1402687591774.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 892
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's also a rose Bush. This flower is on it now, a week ago it had tons of these flowers on it.
I bet Geta Montes can tell what it is. Can you imagine what it would look like covering the entire end of the structure. Oh, and are they aromatic/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I trimmed it today.... Basically just cut off a few branches that were kind of in the way of the porch, then cut off all the dead flowers. It looks nicer than it did. I'll just leave it for now and maybe cut a foot or so off later. Would it be best to do that in the early spring?

As far as the first rose by your porch, as the flowers die off, clip that branch about a foot down. Do that to all the branches after the flower dies. Then in late winter, clip down any other branches that are too long or in the way.

Reaction score

Wow this one will be gorgeous. I wouldn't tie anything more together yet. If any of those branches are in your way.....one on the left looks like it might be getting too close to a parked car or something.... trim it just enough to keep it from being in the way too. Trim the other branches like the other one, about a foot after the flower on the end dies. Then in early winter do the same as the other bush. Can't wait to see both these bushes after you're done with them next spring. Try not to clip them back any more than you really have to. In very early spring we'll talk about you having to fertilize them some.

Reaction score

As I mentioned in my previous post - THE PRUNING METHOD FOR CLIMBING ROSES IS VERY DIFFERENT TO THAT OF PRUNING OTHER ROSE VARIETIES and as not pruning a climbing rose correctly can be detrimental to both its looks and its health it is important to do it correctly - as not doing so will result in an unsightly specimen rather than a healthy attractive rose that is a pleasure to behold.

So as both your roses are climbers - as I've previously explained - they will require very little pruning in order to keep them in shape - which is done mainly by tip pruning - which means cutting NO MORE than 6 to 8 inches of the main stem and if you should wish to reduce the height of a main stem by more than that or you have too many main stems - rather than reducing the height by cutting a few feet off - it is best done by removing the whole of the main stem and cutting right down to ground level - just below the soil.

On looking at your second picture - I can instantly see what the problem is and have to say that unfortunately however much you try to tie it back it will not improve its looks - as its got way out of control and needs some major renovation in order to bring back to its original glory and bloom all over rather than just at the top.

In order to do that you will first need the right tools - as due to the fact that the main stems will be pretty hard - you will probably require the use of a pruning saw as well as a good strong pair of pruning sheers and maybe even a pair of loppers - as well as some ties or supports for attaching the main stems to the wall.

What to do next - firstly as climbing roses are normally grown in a fan shape with no more than 5 - 6 main stems with the center main stem being taller than the two on either side - as yours has way more than that - you will need to select the 5-6 youngest main stems that you wish to keep and remove all the rest - which on looking at yours appears to be at least 10 - down to ground level just below the surface of the soil and once you have done that - all you need to do is attach the remaining main stems to the wall in a fan shape and tip prune in order to acquire the shape you require - which as Chuck mentioned - will result in what will be a truly stunning sight - as your rose will cover the entire wall with blooms from top to bottom :)

:oops: nearly forgot - although this can be done at any time of the year - its is normally best done when the foliage has dropped as its easier to see what you are doing when there are no leaves in the way :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the explanation. It's very nice of you to take the time. For now I am just going to cut the dead flowers off as mentioned and I will plan to do more when the leaves drop off. Hopefully I will have luck with it!

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the explanation. It's very nice of you to take the time. For now I am just going to cut the dead flowers off as mentioned and I will plan to do more when the leaves drop off. Hopefully I will have luck with it!

You're welcome and would just add that should you decide to go ahead and go through the process of returning your rose to its former glory - we will all be more than pleased to assist should there be any aspects that you need some help with :)

Reaction score
If you cut them now, then they will grow back beautifully in the fall, but you also have to keep in mind when your cutting as to what season they grow better in and since their so beautiful now, I would think that summer is there season.

Ask a Question