Roaches in soil!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
This wouldn’t be such a problem if I didn’t have such a fear from roaches. The problem is only in my avocado tree, which is in a container. The first time I saw a roach was 8 months ago, when I was digging in the pot with a shovel, and I see a huge roach pop out! I never dug since.

Fast forwarding until today, I did a deep water to all my plants (haven’t done it in a while). When I deep water, I just keep watering until the water “floods” to the top of the soil line, then I let it drain out. I’m fully aware that I saw a roach in there once, but when I deep watered it, oh bloody heck! I couldn’t even count them! There were so many that surfaced to the top. I’m gonna go off a limb and say that they have been breeding ever since I left that pot alone (REALLY?!?!) (that’s me being sarcastic), because these were mostly babies. One medium sized one ran around the rim of the pot in circles! These bugs are disgusting. I’d rather be infested with aphids.

Now, here’s the question: how do I rid myself of these bugs? I know that these are only in a avocado tree because the same process was done to my other plants with no problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Unfortunately ridding a house of Palmetto Bugs (roaches ;)) in Florida isn't aonce and done operation. By far the easiest way is to call a pest control service. But you must do your part too. There can be no mulch or debris against the foundation. All bushes should be pruned away from the house. Doors and windows should all have good seals and good screens. No food should be left where a roach can get at it. Trust me, you may have only seen them in the one tree but you have hundreds for every one you see. Sorry to be such a pessimist but I spent 40+ years battling those darn things in south Florida. This problem will not get better on its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Fun fact about roaches - they spend a lot of time grooming themselves, and if they come in contact with something unclean (like a human) they will clean themselves thoroughly afterwards :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I go thru a lot of effort to keep roaches out of the house, but I don't mind seeing roaches in the garden, they're actually a beneficial insect in the garden. They're also an important food source for numerous other animals.

https://www.livescience.com/33995-cockroaches.html

Excerpt:

"Furthermore, the disappearance of cockroaches would mess with something truly vital for us all, called the nitrogen cycle.

"Most cockroaches feed on decaying organic matter, which traps a lot of nitrogen," Kambhampati said. "Cockroach feeding has the effect of releasing that nitrogen (in their feces) which then gets into the soil and is used by plants. In other words, extinction of cockroaches would have a big impact on forest health and therefore indirectly on all the species that live there."

In short, we really, really need cockroach poop."

Ask a Question