Rhubarb

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a few varieties on the go now, Glaskin's Perpetual , Victoria, Champagne and a Russian variety which seems to be called "Giant Russian Rhubarb XXL size :oops:

DSC04308.JPG

DSC04309 (1).JPG

Grown it all from seed as plants cost about £8 each :eek:

Have just had the last picking from the forced plant, I've left it in the chimney and taken the top off to let the light in. I've fed it and will leave it next year to recover.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wish I had known how much they cost, the number I have given away :) There was a rhubarb growing in my last garden when I got there and one growing in this, plus someone gave me a plant for my birthday one year, but I don't know what any of them are. Where the soil is showing it looks pretty barren, I dump a good thick layer of compost on top of mine in the autumn when they have died down. Only my second year in this garden and already the rhubarb bed is about four inches higher than the rest, they do like it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good Oliver :)

Had a look at the different varieties today, the Russian Giant seems a bit dwarf :cautious:

DSC05128.JPG

Champagne seems ok....

DSC05127.JPG

But the Victoria is whomping away :)

DSC05125.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a few varieties on the go now, Glaskin's Perpetual , Victoria, Champagne and a Russian variety which seems to be called "Giant Russian Rhubarb XXL size :oops:

View attachment 80241

View attachment 80242

Grown it all from seed as plants cost about £8 each :eek:

Have just had the last picking from the forced plant, I've left it in the chimney and taken the top off to let the light in. I've fed it and will leave it next year to recover.
Perhaps your "Giant Russian Rhubarb XXL" dates back to the US/Soviet rhubarb race, & the name is as politically inspired as the Tractor Production Reports were?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what this one is as it was planted by something else. Possibly Timperley's early? It was hiding behind the Russian batteries when we moved them.

DSC05124.JPG

Ask a Question