Rhubarb crowns

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I planted rhubarb crowns into holes I dug on a sloped part of the garden, filled in the holes, but it has been very wet since and the holes are just capturing the water from the surrounding ground like a bucket, this has been going on about a week. Should I dug up the crowns again and replant them in a better location or will they be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rhubarb prefers good drainage. It would be better to dig those up for now we think and plant again when you can dig around and add some sharp sand or grit..... and a bucket of muck :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dug up the crowns, I mixed some half decomposed cow manure into the muddy hole underneath to make it more solid, then put a car tyre over it, filled the tyre with fully broken down compost and added blood fish and bone and planted the crown into this. as it's raised it should drain fine? The tyres can be removed in time if the crowns get too big etc

Ask a Question