Revised building a raised bed on a slope using 4x4’s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Go for it and get started. You can only learn so much when watching and reading about a topic. That is why any engineering class worth taking is lab based.

Set the first 8' length where you want it and level it out as you like it.

Measure the side return by using your 4' bubble stick and make it level between the top of that 8' face and your slope. Measure that length, cut, install that return. Do the same on the other side but remember it will be next to the 8' face and will show the end grain so add that amount to the cut length.

Rinse and repeat.

Place in the rebar every two or three rows as you see needed. Maybe put crayon marks on the inside (soil side) where you put the rebars so you don't try drilling into one when installing a few rows above it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Go for it and get started. You can only learn so much when watching and reading about a topic. That is why any engineering class worth taking is lab based.

Set the first 8' length where you want it and level it out as you like it.

Measure the side return by using your 4' bubble stick and make it level between the top of that 8' face and your slope. Measure that length, cut, install that return. Do the same on the other side but remember it will be next to the 8' face and will show the end grain so add that amount to the cut length.

Rinse and repeat.

Place in the rebar every two or three rows as you see needed. Maybe put crayon marks on the inside (soil side) where you put the rebars so you don't try drilling into one when installing a few rows above it.
Measure the side return by using your 4' bubble stick and make it level between the top of that 8' face and your slope. Measure that length, cut, install that return. Do the same on the other side but remember it will be next to the 8' face and will show the end grain so add that amount to the cut length. This is where I seem
Learn to use a plumb bob. Your analysis paralysis is not mentally healthy.
So are you saying that I am trying to think this out to much?

Not sure how the plumb bob would help. I realize it is for vertical, but isn't that designed for where you might be building a wall.

I cannot do anything until I see where the chance of rain goes down. I need 2 days for it to be dry. That I am certain of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Plumb bobs are exactly useful for walls, corners especially. The secret is to be off the real wall by a known amount, say 2 inches, or 6, top and bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Start building and think each step through. Expect the first garden bed to take all day. The worst that will happen is you have to rebuild it. Don't worry about it. Learn from doing.

Projects can smell fear. Don't let it win.

Just start and build it, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Finally got the raised bed built

now just hoping we get through hurricane Laura unharmed. If nothing else I get a good idea of how it will hold up with a massive amount of rain.
it was not easy to get it level

Attachments

• 968929BB-17AF-4637-9C58-C6741E01897B.jpeg
    968929BB-17AF-4637-9C58-C6741E01897B.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 0527207E-C5AB-4130-85CD-DA68BBA6EA9F.jpeg
    0527207E-C5AB-4130-85CD-DA68BBA6EA9F.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 71

Ask a Question