Building a garden enclosure

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So... I've been looking at plans to build a structure around a garden with raised beds. Most of everything I see, looks like I need to build the frames on level ground, then put frames into place. A few problems with this scenario. I am a smaller woman, and doing this by myself, I don't necessarily have the strength to push one side of a frame up by myself. I also do not have the room or am able to lie a frame flat because our property is sloped. So, my thought was to set posts, fence style, then build from there. Any advice on this method?

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I would suggest you get help from someone who is familiar with a slopped area like yours. You should avoid wearing yourself out considering your size and you may not have the energy to do it.

But if your alternative works then that would be perfect.

All the best.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Get yourself a professional to put it all together if you've got the money, my neighbour actually tried something similar and ended up completely wrecking a bunch of expensive supplies he had to replace which ended up being more costly than if he had just paid someone to do it for him.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much is the slope? If slope is not much I would till it and plant it. If slope is steep I will till it across the slope to make stair steps for planting.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Should have mentioned this...
There are about 3 retaining walls dividing the slope, except they don't extend all the way, which provide quite a bit of stability for the enclosure, except for the side.
The building part isn't a huge issue, as I am using mostly a TON of reclaimed wood from an older deck we had to removed. The enclosure itself will be reclaimed and the beds will be cedar. I've worked some construction, (hanging drywall and aluminum siding), so I know my way around a hammer and saw, pretty well. I guess I'm gonna try it, and if it all goes to hell, call some friends, and if that doesn't work, I'll call a professional. I'll let you all know how it goes! Wish me luck!!!
Btw: the deck is gone now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
Country
United States
You've got it exactly right. Put the posts in and then attach the boards for the sides. If need be you could use a water level to get everything the same height.

Ask a Question