Building a Grape vine Climbing frame

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
Here is my garden in the pics, where those rocks are at the top i want to build some sort of thing on them that grape vines can grow up , its south facing so thats good i have learned and i can put some raised beds below because the soil is very waterlogged. there is two varieties of grapes that can be grown in ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornfelder

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_Angevine

so im going to grow some of each hopefully, but how would i go about building something to help them grow on the rocks?

I will strip away all the weeds and growth around the rocks first

20170406_135728.jpg
20170406_135753.jpg

Reaction score
Honestly, forget it the whole idea,think about this, how many vineyards are there in Ireland?

That looks bleak, barren probably gets high winds at time.

Your garden ,your decision, but l would not bother.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's certainly adventurous! I can't see it doing well unfortunately. Judging by the shape of the trees in the distance it looks like the area gets strong winds, which grape vine would not like. Plus there's all the other factors to consider like the amount of sun etc.

Is there any particular reason you want to plant grape vines? How about a fruit tree orchard instead?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
i was hoping theyd be sheltered from the wind on the rocks, but i just want to make some irish wine lol so that is why i wanted to plant grapevines, im getting fruit bushes on sunday so i will let you all know what i get, got a redcurrant bush today , planting it tomrowo after soaking it overnight, but i wanted an orchard and some grapevines also, could i put it on the south facing wall of my house? ican take pictures of this wall if u want

Ask a Question