Relaxing afternoon.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; pity you couldn't play the video but there are lots on YouTube to choose from. I decided to try the Pyrography pen this afternoon; yesterday I brought an offcut of plywood up into the bungalow as a practice piece; Bron kindly drew a portrait sketch on the plywood hiding a defect with bows; Bron and I share everything so ladies first and initially Bron didn't like using the Pyrography pen but a few minutes later started to become addicted to using it; below are a couple of pictures of Bron's woodburning these being her very first attempts; if Bron's happy then so am I; the wooden spoons also appeared; a fine surface finish is best for burning otherwise the grain tends to cause problems. I'm sure Bron will let me use it? :D:D:D

This Peter Child Pyrography kit is a joy to own and use; it comes with a five year warranty. I'll use it to add my name to the base of any items I turn. A total novice to wood burning quickly adapts to the process. :)

Although Bracken doesn't bark Logan I think Bramble has it sussed by delegating. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00361.JPG

DSC00362.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting video @Colin, it's amazing what you can do with one.

Hubs has got one too, recently made a new house name plaque!

He also doesn't take any chances where safety is concerned ,like you he has all the protective gear...........makes me jump sometimes as I don't recognise him!!!:D:ROFLMAO:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Frosty this morning but a lovely day in the workshop shut away from the world and all its problems.

I'm still gearing up to do some serious woodturning; this morning I bought a nice set of collets and driver for the Graduate lathe; once these arrive I can then turn fancy finials or indeed anything small diameter; I could have bought similar from china at half price but these might attract customs duty so I bought here in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCT-12-p...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Woodturning can be done very cheaply but I want to enjoy it as a very interesting worthwhile hobby; I never tire of playing with lathes either turning wood or metal.

I've been getting the finial blanks ready for mounting in the collets; I'll be using a 12mm collet so the end of the blank is turned to 12mm; in order to speed up this repetitious job I made a couple of aids; one was to grind down an open end 12mm spanner saving lots of playing around with calipers the other was a roughly made wooden stand; this is currently secured to the lathe bed; it has a long metal finger hanging on a pivot allowing the finger to lift and fall easily but accurately; the finger is adjusted to fall at just over 12mm diameter then I simply use the spanner for the final gauging ensuring the blanks will fit snugly into the collet; it's been an interesting day; pity I have to work in an heavy "Site" jacket due to the weather; I do put the fan heater on which helps a great deal and once the workshop warms up it's very pleasant. I've prepared a few blanks with others ready to be prepared. I've included a picture of the type of finial I'm hoping to turn; I'm in for a steep learning curve and a lot of fun. A good day for a change. (y):):) I'm happy.

The superbly turned lidded box with the finial certainly isn't mine but something I aspire to so I need lots of practice.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00371.JPG
DSC00372.JPG
DSC00375.JPG
DSC00376.JPG
DSC00377.JPG
DSC00378.JPG
Turning 1.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been busy doing more turning putting in the hours to practice whilst this miserable weather prevents me getting into the garden but I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm making another turned lidded box rather more ambitious than the first box I turned but I can remain safe turning easy pieces or push myself to do better. So far so good with this box and I've enjoyed a few problems like dig ins and catches with tools; the domed top I had nicely completed and was polishing it when I felt a sharp spot right on the edge; what luck for a piece of the spalted beech to be so weak it broke away; fortunately I was able to rescue the job by gently turning away the affected section; the top still needs a finial and the bottom of the box will be next to finish; perhaps tomorrow.

The piece of spalted beech was kindly given to me together with more blanks a few years ago by my chum David who also is well into woodturning. I already had a big lump of Meranti so I cut a short length to give a cube of just over 4". A piece of 18mm MDF was cut and glued to the cube for faceplate mounting using four wood screws; I didn't want this lump of wood to hit me at speed if it became detached due to a tool dig in.

The bulk of my previous turning has been between centres so this faceplate turning is a real challenge for me whilst I try to become familiar with using the tools and learning new techniques; I'm finding faceplate turning quite difficult at the moment but if it was easy I'd soon be bored; I thought I'd take pictures and post them showing work so far; it's highly possible I could still destroy this whilst turning the base due to a tool dig in but if the worst happened I'll not worry; I'll just start over again and learn from my mistakes; watching YouTube videos on turning it looks so easy but it takes lots of practice and there's a lot to learn; this box is only my second piece; I'm not a woodturning expert but I'm sure enjoying myself tucked away in the workshop out of this terrible climate. It really is nice to see a lump of rough timber be transformed and what a personal buzz it gives.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00380.JPG

Drilling top to accept finial.

DSC00381.JPG

Cube of Meranti with glued backing for faceplate mounting

DSC00382.JPG

These things happen so why worry; just carry on.

DSC00384.JPG

Applying finish especially to the inside whilst access is excellent.

DSC00385.JPG

Spalted Beech top turned and finished ready to accept finial; finial still to turn.

DSC00386.JPG

The usual Yorkshire black hole so improvised lighting needed to see inside the box.

DSC00387.JPG

Testing lid for fit before removing box base from lathe.

DSC00390.JPG

Base and finial still to be sorted but good progress so far; fingers crossed I can complete it.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi,

I've been busy doing more turning putting in the hours to practice whilst this miserable weather prevents me getting into the garden but I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm making another turned lidded box rather more ambitious than the first box I turned but I can remain safe turning easy pieces or push myself to do better. So far so good with this box and I've enjoyed a few problems like dig ins and catches with tools; the domed top I had nicely completed and was polishing it when I felt a sharp spot right on the edge; what luck for a piece of the spalted beech to be so weak it broke away; fortunately I was able to rescue the job by gently turning away the affected section; the top still needs a finial and the bottom of the box will be next to finish; perhaps tomorrow.

The piece of spalted beech was kindly given to me together with more blanks a few years ago by my chum David who also is well into woodturning. I already had a big lump of Meranti so I cut a short length to give a cube of just over 4". A piece of 18mm MDF was cut and glued to the cube for faceplate mounting using four wood screws; I didn't want this lump of wood to hit me at speed if it became detached due to a tool dig in.

The bulk of my previous turning has been between centres so this faceplate turning is a real challenge for me whilst I try to become familiar with using the tools and learning new techniques; I'm finding faceplate turning quite difficult at the moment but if it was easy I'd soon be bored; I thought I'd take pictures and post them showing work so far; it's highly possible I could still destroy this whilst turning the base due to a tool dig in but if the worst happened I'll not worry; I'll just start over again and learn from my mistakes; watching YouTube videos on turning it looks so easy but it takes lots of practice and there's a lot to learn; this box is only my second piece; I'm not a woodturning expert but I'm sure enjoying myself tucked away in the workshop out of this terrible climate. It really is nice to see a lump of rough timber be transformed and what a personal buzz it gives.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 33880
Drilling top to accept finial.

View attachment 33881
Cube of Meranti with glued backing for faceplate mounting

View attachment 33882
These things happen so why worry; just carry on.

View attachment 33883
Applying finish especially to the inside whilst access is excellent.

View attachment 33884
Spalted Beech top turned and finished ready to accept finial; finial still to turn.

View attachment 33885
The usual Yorkshire black hole so improvised lighting needed to see inside the box.

View attachment 33886
Testing lid for fit before removing box base from lathe.

View attachment 33887

Base and finial still to be sorted but good progress so far; fingers crossed I can complete it.
beautiful-can I preorder?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Upsy Daisy & mg guy for your kind compliments which I truly appreciate(y):).

I've got many more mistakes to make mg guy so it's highly unlikely I'll ever be into taking orders but your encouragement is most welcome? There are many stunning examples of turned work on the web and at the moment I can only aspire to such high workmanship but I'm willing and stubborn enough to do my best.

I'm interested in trying out the chatter and spiralling tools I made but first I need to learn and understand the basics then I can really get involved; I can highly recommend woodturning to anyone as a very interesting hobby; small lathes can be bought cheaply for pen or lace bobbin turning just to get the feel of a lathe; a number of my friends own lathes and all enjoy time spent turning; it's addictive. :D

Hopefully I'll succeed with this box then I'll take time to set up my tool sharpening; razor sharp tools are a must for top work; years ago I made a belt sander and a belt grinder; these are better for sharpening lathe tools because they grind a flat bevel.

The pictures below show four oak legs I turned for a friend with my compliments. The chatter tool I made and also the belt grinder; the belt grinder also has a leather honing belt and the results can be seen on the three tool edges. I did have a go at turning small lidded boxes about 30 years ago when Bron kindly bought me a Record Power DML 24" woodturning lathe as a Christmas present; this lathe at that time was a major present when we had little money; I still have this lathe and recently replaced the mandrel bearings so it runs like new again. It's only taken 30 years to pick up where I left off turning lidded boxes.

Here's what a chatter tool is used for

Here's what a spiralling tool is used for;

I'll never be bored.

KInd regards, Colin.

Completed..jpg

Four oak legs I turned for a friend.

Making a chatter tool Oct 2013 (6).JPG

Homemade chatter tool.

Metal polishing. (2).jpg

Polished tool bevels from my home made belt grinding/honing machine.

My first ever turned boxes (1).JPG
My first ever turned boxes (3).JPG

My first ever turned lidded boxes from 30 years ago; I can now take time to turn more.

Working belt grinder..jpg

My home made 2" x 36" belt grinding/honing machine.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A quick update to say I managed to complete the turning of the base without problems this morning. I turned a "jam chuck" allowing the box to be turned around giving full access to its bottom; the jam chuck was turned with a lot of care to get the friction fit just right; initial turning was done with support from the tailstock then the tailstock could be removed and the final bit of waste turned away. After sanding with abrasive paper sanding sealer base coats were then applied. I've just knocked off after sanding the front four edges and giving them coats of sanding sealer; I'll post pictures later but I'm delighted to have got the box to this stage.

As usual I was wrapped up like an Eskimo due to it being cold and frosty outside; with the workshop heater on I soon settled down to a very pleasurable morning on the lathe.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00391.JPG

Box now mounted on jam chuck.

DSC00392.JPG

Mounted on jam chuck with tailstock support.

DSC00393.JPG

Close up of jam chuck.

DSC00394.JPG

Bottom successfully completed with sanding sealer coats added; just to final polish.

DSC00395.JPG

These four edges are now also finished and at the sanding sealer stage.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What fun and entertainment I enjoy whilst in the workshop. Project #2 now successfully completed it being the second lidded box. The new collets I bought have not yet arrived so I needed a method to drive the blank for the finial; this proved much easier than anticipated; a 12mm dia hole bored into the jam chuck took care of it; this gave me practice using the dreaded skew chisel; I did try assorted gouges and parting tools but these didn't give a clean blemish free cut and also set up vibration so skew chisel it was and the finish from the chisel needed very little sanding indeed. Ideally a skew with short handle would be better for such small pieces; I could have turned the finial much more slender but with a risk of breaking it as it was pulled free from the jam chuck; this won't be a problem once I start using collets but it got the job done today.

Hopefully the weather will get warmer allowing me to work without wearing my thick site coat; two projects now completed and I'm looking forward to being more adventurous; there are thousands of beautiful turned items on the web to draw inspiration from.

Thanks for your patience; did I say I like woodturning? :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00399.JPG
DSC00404.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How kind of you Gemma; thank you. (y):)

Tomorrow our friends are visiting us; David is secretary of his local woodturning group and also one of the judges so I'm looking forward to David looking at my two turned boxes through his critical eye and hopefully receive helpful advice and suggestions; David's woodturning is excellent so I've got a good role model.

David is clued up regarding what's available and from where regarding turning blanks; types of abrasives; tools; chucks; sealers and polishes etc. Boys and their toys. :)

Christmas just arrived in the form of Parcelforce delivering the collets I bought; I'm keen to try these collets out. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just completed making the draw bar for the collet holder. I'm used to lathe work so this wasn't too challenging; I used odds and ends I had kicking around so all it cost was a bit of interesting time; the aluminium blank had a large hole through its centre so in order to use it I turned a threaded insert; the insert was a nice friction fit and I also drilled and tapped at 5mm on the joint to accept a machine screw; this secures the aluminium knob to the insert. I like lathe work so I spent a bit extra time to add knurling giving a better hand grip. The bar I had was 1/2" dia BMS so I turned each end down to accept the 12mm die allowing the threads to be cut by hand. The picture shows the threaded bar over long but I've trimmed this to length since taking the pictures.

These collets will allow perfectly true running of blanks whilst giving the best grip possible to the work; I've mounted a turning blank to show how the collets work; I turned a 12mm tenon onto the end of the blank and it suits the 12mm collet. An easy enough job allowing me to enjoy myself in the workshop rather than be soaking wet trying to work outside in this terrible wet climate; life sure can be good.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00413.JPG

Roughing aluminium blank for knob.

DSC00416.JPG

Knurling to give better hand grip.

DSC00417.JPG

Threaded insert secured by 5mm machine screw.

DSC00418.JPG

Other side of threaded insert

DSC00419.JPG

Hand tapping the bar at both ends.

DSC00421.JPG

Completed draw bar with collet holder attached.

DSC00423.JPG

Fully installed but threaded bar to be trimmed to length done after the picture was taken.

DSC00424.JPG

Woodturning finial blank mounted ready to be turned; These collets are wonderful.

Ask a Question