Relaxing afternoon.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Peace and tranquility arrived this afternoon; I could get into the workshop without interruptions and even the weather behaved; sheer bliss at last.

I've just connected two of my lathes to a single VFD and I was keen to play with the Union Graduate woodturning lathe. A few years ago I saved a few short holly logs and they've been drying under the bungalow; I rough turned two of them into blanks and wasn't too impressed thinking they would only be fine to practice on. The chuck is a Robert Sorby Patriot.

I cut one holly blank in half deciding to have a go at turning a small lidded box; I've done plenty of woodturning but never turned just for the fun of turning so this was just a practice piece to experiment with; the result can be seen below in the pictures; I've still got to finish the bottom and also turn the lid.

Not a gallery piece but not bad for a first attempt; I need better lighting because I hollowed out by feel and was unsure which tools to use but as I say it's down to practice. Woodturning is a brilliant hobby and needn't cost a lot of money.

The finish is shellac sanding sealer and friction polish. The rings are wire burning which can be dangerous to a novice woodturner but they add a nice touch.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00221.JPG
DSC00343.JPG
DSC00344.JPG
DSC00347.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan & Upsy Daisy. (y):)

It's a very wet miserable black hole here again today but the sun was shining in my workshop. :D:D:D

I've enjoyed a brilliant day on the lathe today and have just knocked off after completed the little turned box; I've enjoyed turning this box because it's something I wanted to do and not something I had to do. With more practice I can refine my technique and focus more on the design but I'm delighted with this it being my first attempt.

I made it as a present for Bron and Bron thinks it's wonderful and has found a home for it on the fireplace mantle in pride of place; it's amazing how quickly something can be learned with a bit of patience and application; you'll never hear me say "I can't do that".

I hadn't realized I needed to turn a spigot on the lid for mounting into the Patriot chuck but no problem; I simply turned a "Jam chuck" from an offcut taking care to get it just right then I could push the lid home (jam it) and complete turning the lid. There are lots of excellent videos on YouTube showing and explaining in great detail how to turn these boxes; I need to rig up a low voltage light on the lathe to allow me full view inside these boxes; I hollowed out by feel alone so this is an area for improvement.

I like to do things the hard way; I bought this Graduate lathe from an academy in Rochdale; back home I subjected the lathe to a full and comprehensive restoration upgrading to VFD variable speed drive with forward/reverse; I also doubled its power adding a top quality inverter rated 1.1kw Brook Motor; a number of parts were missing so I made these; I yearned to own a Graduate for many years but couldn't afford one; I've now got a good one that's that's better than new a delight to own and a joy to use; I'm just a big kid who loves to play with my toys.

I've had lots of turning blanks for years so now I can use them.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00350.JPG
DSC00351.JPG
DSC00353.JPG
Graduate restoration (1).JPG
Graduate restoration (2).JPG
Graduate restoration (3).JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Upsy Daisy & Logan for your kind comments which I very much appreciate.(y):)

I've just bought one of these pyrography kits;

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/p...s/peter-child/peter-child-pyrography-kit-240v

I can use the pyrography pen to sign my items; I've considered buying one of these machines for many years and now I have a use for one.

I enjoy turning in both wood and metal but I'm self taught woodturning and would like to improve regarding turning visually pleasing items for decorative purposes; this is an whole new world to explore; my chum David is secretary of his local woodturning club but lives 80 miles distant which is a shame. I've just emailed David to enquire if he is a member of any woodturning forum he can recommend to me.

I'm skilled in metal turning and have a very rare Lorch Schmidt precision lathe that I've fully restored; whilst turning this small wooden box I used a "jam chuck" that I turned from an offcut of timber; I like to experiment so wonder if I could turn a metal jam chuck but with assorted male/female inserts to accept various diameters of turned boxes; just an idea at the moment but all it takes is an initial idea to fire up my interest and imagination.

Woodturning is a truly fascinating hobby; I've now got time to play around in the workshop and the web is full of inspiration giving me something to aspire to as seen in this picture which I think is beautiful. Top credit to the turner of this exquisite piece.

Exquisite woodturning 2.JPG

I was taught metal turning as an apprentice mechanical engineer so I'm proficient on a metal turning lathe where precision is paramount working to extremely fine limits but woodturning gives total freedom and only limited by imagination.

I'm highly grateful of being allowed to post lots of non gardening threads on this delightful forum but I do need to join another forum covering woodturning where I can share and exchange information.

More on topic though I spent an hour up the mountain yesterday afternoon planting 20 Pachysandra cuttings I had in the cold frame; as usual the ground was sodden so it was on with my wellies but what a huge difference a bit of warm sunshine made; I wish I could bottle it because it's so rare living here? If the weather does eventually improve then I'll spend a lot of time in the gardens but until then I'm spending time in the workshop possibly covering projects generally unknown to members on this forum; I'm not a gardener only ever doing gardening to keep them tidy but I hope to take a keener interest in our gardens this year and of course remain an active member on this forum after all you couldn't drive me away with a big stick. :LOL:

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I managed a couple of short sessions in the workshop today. I've been storing turning blanks for years in the hope of one day actually getting around to doing a bit of woodturning.

I pulled a few of these blanks out and centred them then started to rough turn a few; one was a lump of holly tree still with its bark attached. I'll rough turn all these between centres then change over to the Patriot chuck and jam chucks for final turning/finishing. It's been another miserable wet day today but in the workshop it was most pleasant; tomorrow I can spend most of the day in the workshop so hopefully will be able to rough turn the rest of the blanks then I can concentrate on turning small lidded boxes.

I've found lots of inspiration on pintrest;

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/184014334753305614/

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00354.JPG
DSC00355.JPG
DSC00356.JPG
DSC00357.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Some of those boxes on Pinterest are mind blowing!!! And their wood grain markings are pure beauty!
Bron's in for some lovely presents ;)(y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Upsy Daisy; I've got a lot of practice ahead of me if I want to achieve the standards of woodturning displayed on Pinterest but it gives me something to aspire to. (y):)

It's been a normal day here and Blackie is even trying to get into the workshop under the workshop door with the help of his wayward sister Gale.

I wrapped up well and put the fan heater on in the workshop shutting the world out to enjoy a full day's woodturning; I decided to get stuck into turning lots of blanks at one go rather than playing around changing from drive centre to chuck many times; it's surprising how much waste is removed whilst woodturning but I really have enjoyed myself today.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00359.JPG
DSC00360.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Colin, you've done a lot today. What do you do with all the wood shavings? They're going to look lovely when they're finished. The dark wood what sort is it?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking Logan; I'm letting the wood shavings go to our local tip because I'm unsure how they would react if I used them as mulch; many timbers are quite toxic so need treating with caution; a friend has a woodburner but sawdust and shavings can cause an explosion so better safe than sorry; I like to make use of most things but sometimes it pays to think before jumping in.

The dark wood is mostly Meranti which is quite common;

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/wood-species-2/meranti

One of the dark pieces is Idigbo; the light coloured wood is a mix of Oak; Ash and Sycamore.

I'm wearing a dust mask whilst cutting; turning and sanding; I also take safety seriously in everything I do; safety shoes; ear defenders; gloves and glasses but I also wear goggles as the need arises; I never wear a wedding ring or wrist watch and all my clothing is tucked in out of the way whilst working on the machines; once I get onto the lathes or my other toys the time disappears at an alarming rate.

The Peter Child Pyrography machine/kit arrived yesterday so yet another toy to play with and Bron has her eye on this so I'm sure it's going to get used; Bron likes using her glue gun whilst card making so this Pyrography is just a step up for her; I get the feeling I'm going to be asked for some blanks? (y)

Having hobbies is brilliant especially in retirement. :):D

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Colin, yes it's best not to use it mulch. It's best to dispose of it anyway that you can.

Good that you're safe when you do it. Had to look up pyrography, it sounds interesting.

It's good to have hobbies, keeps us busy anytime in our lives.
I've started dress making again now that i have a bit more time, when we had 5 dogs spent a lot of time walking them but didn't have time for anything else.

Have a good day.:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and good wishes which are appreciated. (y):)

5 dogs would indeed keep you busy; did you need to wear ear defenders when a stranger knocked on your door?;)

Bron and I encourage each other in our respective hobbies; I'm not into dressmaking :D but I do pinch Bron's "Brother" sewing machine from time to time; I'm planning to buy material and make a woodturners apron. (y)

Pyrography is very popular Logan; I've fancied a Pyrograph machine for years but never got around to buying one until now; I'm sure it will be interesting to add burned decoration onto items I turn but these Pyrograph machines can be used for a great deal more and could be an interesting hobby in their own right; here's an example;

Here's the Pyrography machine I bought that was delivered yesterday; it's the 240V plug model;

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/p...s/peter-child/peter-child-pyrography-kit-240v

This is more of a professional machine but much cheaper Pyrography pens can be bought through eBay from as little as £10 or even less and will be ideal for anyone wishing to have a go at woodburning.

There are so many interesting hobbies to choose from so why be bored. :)

Best wishes Logan.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Colin I couldn't play that video, wouldn't work on my phone.

That looks very interesting, i hope you enjoy it. Some of our dogs didn't bark when someone came to the door Bracken wouldn't and bramble left it to one of the others.

Ask a Question