Reduce weeds before renovating garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After the solarization and turning the soil you will grow as many weeds as before unless you make it difficult for seeds to germinate. You should have thick mulch of anything you can get your hands on, and it should be there year-around. I put 6"+ on the garden each autumn, I turn that under after it has degenerated to about 2" each spring. I immediately use another 6" of leaves and then all my grass clippings go on top of that all summer. I save leaves every autumn and put more leaves on after I pull the roots of the garden plants. Actually, I save others people's leaves in the nice bags they put them in for use in spring after I turn-in what's there.

There are weed seeds added to the area every year. Some of those are activated by sunlight and germinate, the rest will remain dormant, some for a hundred years or until they are activated by the right conditions, some combination of sunlight, warmth, and moisture. Plowing at night deprives seeds of the solar activation that is more important than any other condition. Having a mulch pile at hand for immediate use after turning your garden will help the process.

You will be your worst enemy in the war on weeds. Some seeds will blow in from your friends and neighbors, but the biggest contribution of seeds will come from plants that go to seed right there on your garden. If you always pull weeds before they get to the flowering stage you will shortcut 90% of the contributors of next year's weeds. Most of the weeds will grow on or next to your pathways in the garden if your garden has 6" of mulch on it.

I'm old and have a smaller garden than most. After some years you will hone in on what's worth your effort in time and space. Some things take a lot of room, and some things don't taste that much better than what you can buy in season, so eventually you'll only grow what fits your space and time. I have found that everything needs a path in-between rows, and that path is about the same, year-to-year and plant-to-plant, and the plants need about the same plot size, too. So, I divided my garden into four 30" wide rows with four 24" paths in-between. The paths have six 24" square cement patio blocks. I rotate my crops row-to-row, but the paths are permanent.
View attachment 51152
Actually, I don't don't turn the whole pot over every spring, usually just the ground that I need to plant. A 18" diameter hole 12" deep is all a tomato plant needs. Same for cukes and pumpkins, and half that for leaf lettuce. For a row of peas, just a trench one shovel wide the length of the trellis. I use two driveway gates of chain link fencing stood on end and connected with electrical zip ties to each other in the middle and to the black posts you see in each individual plot. The tomato go up one pole and cukes go up the other in one plot, and snow peas go up the 72" high trellis. Each autumn I move the trellis to the next plot.
I use the 48" chain link fence at the far end as an alternate trellis and pumpkin plot. One plot is a growing-on bed for bonsai. An asparagus plot runs 18' long x 48" wide along the fence beyond the front plots, with 12" cement blocks surrounding it to walk on and prevent weeds. The rabbit fence is a blessing that can't be over valued.

I only dig what I need, the rest is air space between plant and doesn't need anything done. Once in a while I do turn a whole plot, just for kicks. I occasional rabbit always has a place in my garden, about a foot deep.
You are correct in that solarization will not kill 100% of the seeds. However, it will kill most and will kill just about all of them to a depth of about 4 inches. I think it depends on ones latitude how much sun you receive and your temperature. And yes a heavily applied mulch is a great weed preventer and should be applied whether one has weeds or not.

Is it true that rabbit makes good fertilizer?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
After the solarization and turning the soil you will grow as many weeds as before unless you make it difficult for seeds to germinate.

Correct...Plus you will have a soil that has been robbed of everything alive in it. Cover crops will not kill the living soil elements. They will, however, prevent weed growth, add nutrients, and deter pests. Planted densely, they are far superior to mulch....black plastic? Not in my garden.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Spot on advise by SeniorCitizen. I hope he wasn't run off this forum.

The forum doesn't run him off.

This isn't the first or the second time he has announced his departure. I imagine he'll be back.
shruggy.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Soil which will be replenished with good guy microbs PDQ. No pain, no gain.
Just a little first hand story on killed microbes due to heat. Where my garden is now at the beginning was an area completely overgrown with Texas Mountain Cedar (ash juniper). I chainsawed it all down and piled it into a giant hill of the stuff. I let it dry for one year and set it on fire. This was in the spring while it was still cool outside, March I believe. The area burned was about 100 ft x 30 feet right down the middle of what was to become my garden. Cedar burns extremely hot and it burned for almost 2 full days before it stopped smoking. I had at least 6 inches of ashes and I spread it over the entire garden. I knew that the soil was dead but had no idea how deep it was dead. I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of good compost and spread it over the burned area about 1 inch deep and then watered in @4oz per gallon of water, feed molasses. Then I dug up the garden used molasses again and planted carrots and collards. They grew beautifully, even in the burned area. I canned the carrots and froze what I wanted of the collards and turned under the rest. The carrots and collards were planted in October and a full garden the following spring. So much for killed microbes and the "damage" solarization does. I can't imagine solarization is hotter than that fire. And no weeds for the first year in the burned area. After that all I needed for weeds was a Hula Hoe. I am on my 3rd Hula Hoe now and I can weed my entire garden of about 1/4 acre before lunch time. I carry the hoe with me every single time I go into the garden. Weeds are a non issue and have been for 20+ years since I built it. I don't grow cover crops although it is a good thing. I plant a fall/winter garden.

I have other spots on my property where I burned cedar. It normally takes 3-5 years to become normal again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just a little first hand story on killed microbes due to heat. Where my garden is now at the beginning was an area completely overgrown with Texas Mountain Cedar (ash juniper). I chainsawed it all down and piled it into a giant hill of the stuff. I let it dry for one year and set it on fire. This was in the spring while it was still cool outside, March I believe. The area burned was about 100 ft x 30 feet right down the middle of what was to become my garden. Cedar burns extremely hot and it burned for almost 2 full days before it stopped smoking. I had at least 6 inches of ashes and I spread it over the entire garden. I knew that the soil was dead but had no idea how deep it was dead. I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of good compost and spread it over the burned area about 1 inch deep and then watered in @4oz per gallon of water, feed molasses. Then I dug up the garden used molasses again and planted carrots and collards. They grew beautifully, even in the burned area. I canned the carrots and froze what I wanted of the collards and turned under the rest. The carrots and collards were planted in October and a full garden the following spring. So much for killed microbes and the "damage" solarization does. I can't imagine solarization is hotter than that fire. And no weeds for the first year in the burned area. After that all I needed for weeds was a Hula Hoe. I am on my 3rd Hula Hoe now and I can weed my entire garden of about 1/4 acre before lunch time. I carry the hoe with me every single time I go into the garden. Weeds are a non issue and have been for 20+ years since I built it. I don't grow cover crops although it is a good thing. I plant a fall/winter garden.

I have other spots on my property where I burned cedar. It normally takes 3-5 years to become normal again.
The ancient amazons used ashes also. Well lets call it a garbage pot garden. Ashes, sewage, kitchen scraps. I imagine the broken pottery found was from young men flinging nasty away and losing the pot in the process. But the ashes and charcoal remained. Terra Preta is the name we have given it in our age. It sounds familiar anyway.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.... So much for killed microbes and the "damage" solarization does. ...

Let me get this straight...you are equating dead brush burning with "solarization" which is nothing more than covering ground with black plastic. One is a natural event which has happened since the beginning of time, the other is totally unnatural. Burning adds nutrients, black plastic subtracts them.

That example just doesn't work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let me get this straight...you are equating dead brush burning with "solarization" which is nothing more than covering ground with black plastic. One is a natural event which has happened since the beginning of time, the other is totally unnatural. Burning adds nutrients, black plastic subtracts them.

That example just doesn't work.
Solarization, plastic, works by heating the soil hot enough to kill the seeds. Normally seeds are non-viable at around 160 degrees. A forest fire or a grass fire burns to quickly to kill seeds more than about 2 inches deep. This is why the fires in California and the fire at Mt. St. Helen did not and does not affect seed germination for long. Why did/do ranchers purposefully burn their land? To get rid of brush and help the grasses grow. In fact the grasses and brush start growing again the next growing season and many times sooner. The fire I started, a fire that doesn't resemble a brush fire in any way, a fire that had not inches of coals but coals a couple of feet deep, and, I am sure it was much much hotter than a fast moving blaze. You are correct that a fire, a normal fire, adds nutrients, but my fire was anything but a normal fire. It literally sterilized the soil, I don't know how deep, so does plastic but the plastic to a lessor degree in this particular situation. That is why it takes 2 or 3 months for it to work and get heat deep enough to kill most old seeds. Please, don't get me wrong. Ground cover/green manure is an excellent method to control winter weeds while fertilizing at the same time. The only thing I disagree with you about is doing it the first year, both summer and winter if I understand you correctly. If the OP wants a garden sometime this year then solarization is his only viable alternative unless he wants to battle weeds. either this summer or this fall.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I live next to a farm and my biggest problem is reseeding from the cover crops. They plant cover crops to help the soil not to keep the weeds down. For that they spray. No amount of cover crops will keep the weeds down unless they are so thick that nothing else grows. Spring is the worst time of the year for weeds because they regrow from seeds in the soil. If you turn the soil over you bring up the weeds. The best luck I have has is in the areas where I burn huge piles of leaves in the fall. This kills everything and it stays that way most of the summer. I have also had luck with over fertilizing which kills the weeds too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live next to a farm and my biggest problem is reseeding from the cover crops. They plant cover crops to help the soil not to keep the weeds down. For that they spray. No amount of cover crops will keep the weeds down unless they are so thick that nothing else grows. Spring is the worst time of the year for weeds because they regrow from seeds in the soil. If you turn the soil over you bring up the weeds. The best luck I have has is in the areas where I burn huge piles of leaves in the fall. This kills everything and it stays that way most of the summer. I have also had luck with over fertilizing which kills the weeds too.
It's such a pleasure to hear an intelligent statement about what happens in the real world. The touchy-feely so-called greens are semi-gardeners who think that weeds can be overcome with ease drive me nuts. It takes substantial initial effort followed by a consistent continuing program to keep them down. And every time you slough off they come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
med
Country
United States
Hi all,

Green-as-grass gardener here, and new to this forum. Hope someone can help me out! I just bought my first house, of which the garden has been neglected for the past years. I'm looking to turn it into something nice, but I've already noticed that any open (non-paved) soil seems saturated with weeds and its seeds. I can hoe and weed until I'm blue in the face, but a week later a fresh green carpet will have sprouted up. Left unattended it takes over everything.
View attachment 45469View attachment 45470View attachment 45471View attachment 45472

The garden is now fallow. My question: is there anything I can do now, before I plant the new garden, to minimize this problem in the future? I'd prefer not to replace 12" top soil over the whole garden if there's another resort.

Thanks!
The best way that i have found is what i call the claw it has for spikes and i put it on the soil and turn it and it turns the soil so that way the roots to the weeds can be pulled limiting the return of the weeds. hope this helps it is a lot of work but it is well worth it.

Attachments

• 0331191451.jpg
    0331191451.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 0331191614.jpg
    0331191614.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 147

Ask a Question