Poinsettia from reduced counter at Dobbies last Christmas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I only paid £2 for it really looked poorly but improved with a little tlc for over Christmas then left outdoors all summer then repotted with fresh compost now look at it.

During day its on kitchen window sill and by night in a dark cubboard hoping it will turn red.
P1100822.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I save sick plants also when I see them at the stores. Yours looks great. I have never been able to get the plant to re-bloom, good luck to you., I can keep it alive well after the holiday but no new flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yours looks very healthy and I hope it will cooperate with your wishes and turns red for you :) You will have beautiful flowers soon, and wishfully by Christmas time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good luck scotkat, I'm rooting for you!! I've done some reading on Poinsettia's because I might take a stab at making a bonsai tree out of one of them. I'm sure you are aware, but for others out there who may read this and are not, Poinsettia's must have 12- 14 hours of uninterrupted darkness to get the red colored bracts (those red "flowers" are actually red leaves!). That means TOTAL darkness. A nightlight, light from under a door, light through any cracks, ANY light during that 12 - 14 hours will disrupt the process of getting the red color.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Than you Java Guy,I am giving it at least 16 hrs of total darkness.

This is the first time I have done this so hoping it does go red.

Like the idea of trying to bonsai one.

Shall post another photo before Christmas of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You will get it scotkat, and looking forward to the picture come Christmas. Looking at it now, it's hard to believe it was a store rescue..well done (y) . I have a terrible time walking by sick or dying plants at stores and not snatching them up. What is Dobbies? Is it one of those big chain garden centers?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Dobbies is chain garden come everything and coffee shop store.

I am just so pleased with it so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have 3 poinsettias as leftover from last Christmas. Unfortunately, they were neglected somehow and there is only 1 good plant left. The other 2 have dried and already dead some months ago. Now, that remaining poinsettia looks healthy but no red parts yet. Hopefully it will show some good red flowers in time for Christmas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks beautiful and very healthy! You did a really great job, Scotkat:) I like taking care of weak and sick plants too. Watching them getting better is an unforgettable experience, I truly enjoy it.

Reaction score
Christmas Day is coming and I am sure your Poinsettia will turn its color into red before the coming of this special day. You had a green thumb because you had said when you bought it is really a poor plant. But look now your poinsettia is already healthy and soon it will change its color to red already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It looks beautiful and very healthy! You did a really great job, Scotkat:) I like taking care of weak and sick plants too. Watching them getting better is an unforgettable experience, I truly enjoy it.
My sentiments exactly Claudine. I also learn more about a plant / tree when I take one that is near death or sick and try and nurse it back to health. I think the only thing I take more joy in when it comes to growing is growing something from seed. Nothing like taking a tiny little ugly seed and watching it sprout and grow into something beautiful :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I love the satisfaction that comes with buying a plant that looks like it's on its' last legs, only to see it totally recover and thrive! It's a wonderful feeling. Your poinsettia looks like it's doing very well - keep us posted on the progress it makes, please! :)

Ask a Question