Red Tip problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
We’ve had these 3 red tip photinia’s planted for about 10 yrs. They are about 12 ft tall.
We live in San Antonio TX. This is the first time I’ve seen the middle one’s leaves turn brown. I trimmed off the dead branch. Now there’s sort of a bald spot. Now the one on the right is doing the same. Leaves turn brown and dry. Yes we had a very dry hot summer but I made sure to water them. I’m thinking maybe grubs or fungus infection? I don’t know.. any advice to get them healthy again?
Any help or advice would be so great.

IMG_3295.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It doesn’t really seem like the time for it, but it may be fireblight. It’s a bacterial disease of plants in the Rose family. Usually it’s more of a Spring issue, but sometimes it can take a while to show. Remove the dead branches 12” below any obvious dead part and sterilize your pruners in between EVERY SINGLE cut. It is spread by pruners very easily. In the Spring spray with copper between rains.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much! You could absolutely be right!
I never knew about spraying cooper. Thanks again! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you are in the UK or some other Countries the copper based products have been restricted due to concerns of buildup in the soil over repeated usage. Here in the USA we can still buy it. A systemic fungicide may also serve you. You would use it as a drench. Typically an ounce (60 mL) in 5 gallons (20L) of water. Something broad like agri-fos will handle a lot of the root bundle fungi that take out the branch above the root like is shown in your picture. One nasty that is common in soil across cooler months is called phytophthrora. Unfortunately there are others so one becomes a detective searching for clues in leaves, bark, soil and even under the bark.

Last edited:

Ask a Question