Red Tips

Reaction score
Country
United States
My red tips have a fungus?? and I am looking for tips to care for them. Searching the internet I found one guy who said cut them down, dig them up and burn them. Not quite the answer I was looking for. Surely there must be a better solution. If these fungus or whatever killed red tips then there would not be any left in the world. This spring mine were full of blooms and are now over 10 feet tall. Please help me save them. Thanks

Attachments

• HAFTf1COTcCg2z9vSP6n9w.jpg
    HAFTf1COTcCg2z9vSP6n9w.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 112
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My red tips have a fungus?? and I am looking for tips to care for them. Searching the internet I found one guy who said cut them down, dig them up and burn them. Not quite the answer I was looking for. Surely there must be a better solution. If these fungus or whatever killed red tips then there would not be any left in the world. This spring mine were full of blooms and are now over 10 feet tall. Please help me save them. Thanks
Red Tips are a plant that should never be pruned. In Texas alkaline soils, pruning them causes a serious fungal disease and they die. Also there is an insect vector that transmits another disease to them. They live for a few years and then become a lot of trouble. Reputable nurseries around San Antonio won't sell them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for your input. I did buy at a reputable nursery here in San Antonio and they said that any area with more than 35 inches of rain a year is not good for red tip photinia. The San Antonio annual rainfall is 33 inches. Guess that is too close to 35 inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for your input. I did buy at a reputable nursery here in San Antonio and they said that any area with more than 35 inches of rain a year is not good for red tip photinia. The San Antonio annual rainfall is 33 inches. Guess that is too close to 35 inches.
It is also our alkaline soils. They will do fairly well for a few years if you don't prune them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck is right and I've seen it more that once, that if you keep them boxed they will peter out on you. If you want to save them don't prune ever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bordeaux mix, fixed copper or chlorothalonil sprays will help control the fungus. You might try soil sulfur to lower the pH a bit. Unfortunately for you wet foliage is great for fungus infection.

Ask a Question