Rambling rose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 to 9
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a rambling rose called Super Fairy. It was a very healthy well established rambler which had climbed to a height of about 10ft and was a mass of beautiful pink clusters. I had asked my gardener to give it a prune and to my astonishment he just tugged and yanked out best part of the rose. Sadly it must have suffered such a shock that most of the remaining stems and branches turned brown and died. However, I have been left with one green stem which looks fairly healthy, although part of this too has become spindly and is beginning to turn brown. I'm not sure whether I should cut this back to its base or not to see if it can be saved so as to encourage new growth. I'd be grateful for advice on this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 to 9
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your advice. I would just say that the rambler has been in its poorly state for over two years now. I will stay patient for a bit longer! I don't think it will be too difficult to find leaf mould as I have a nature trail nearby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Ramblers are the magnificent climbing roses seen in photos of some English gardens growing over archways or climbing up the walls of houses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you don't have that 'gardener' on your premises any more. When I was working I was once asked to prune a big old rose growing up the side of an ancient house. I spent a whole afternoon and got it all looking pretty good, and the owner phoned me later in the year to say that it was blooming profusely, but the blooms were only lasting a day. When I went back and looked I found the rose had died off years before, what I had pruned was the wild rose root stock :)
I would say you have been very patient, time to dig it out, replenish the soil, and buy yourself a good, healthy, new rose from a reputable supplier.

Ask a Question