Raised bed help

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife and I want to start raised beds and I have a couple of questions. We have 6 chickens and in their run (16’x6’x5’) we have 2-3 bales of straw that they have broken down and scattered around. Is that something we could use as something in the bottom of our beds? The other question is about poison ivy. We have a section of our yard that we have been putting leaves, grass, odd tree branches, etc in but it also has poison ivy around and through everything. If we use that for our beds, will we need to worry about poison ivy infecting our plants in the raised beds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My wife and I want to start raised beds and I have a couple of questions. We have 6 chickens and in their run (16’x6’x5’) we have 2-3 bales of straw that they have broken down and scattered around. Is that something we could use as something in the bottom of our beds? The other question is about poison ivy. We have a section of our yard that we have been putting leaves, grass, odd tree branches, etc in but it also has poison ivy around and through everything. If we use that for our beds, will we need to worry about poison ivy infecting our plants in the raised beds?
If you are sure that the straw wasn't infected by picloram by the grower then by all means use it. If you have poison ivy, either dead or alive, it will still be harmful. It has a persistent chemical in it called urushiol. It won't affect the plants in the garden it will affect you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We bought the straw at the local Tractor Supply, so I have no idea. I just wanted to be sure about the poison ivy. It’s going to be covered by about 7 inches of dirt. Thank you for the reply!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We bought the straw at the local Tractor Supply, so I have no idea. I just wanted to be sure about the poison ivy. It’s going to be covered by about 7 inches of dirt. Thank you for the reply!
If the straw is contaminated it will destroy your garden for years. Fill a bucket with the straw and fill it with water. Let it sit for a couple of days and then pour the water on a broadleaf weed like a dandelion or something. Wait two days and if the weed shows no sign of anything the straw is safe. Just because Tractor Supply sells it, it doesn't make it safe. Many, if not most hay growers use this herbicide (picloram) on their fields.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
N

Poison ivy is a very persistent plant. The roots are arguably the most dangerous because they will get you if you handle them and/or burn them and accidently inhale the smoke. Very unpleasant and can be serious.

Ask a Question