Are there more efficient ways to till a raised garden bed?

Reaction score
I use the square foot gardening technique in a raised garden bed. In general I'm happy with the technique, but this time of the year, I do get jealous of people who pull out a motorized tiller on their row gardens while I'm using a garden hoe to prepare my beds. The garden hoe is truly back straining. I can imagine continuing to garden into my 80/90s (40+ years in the future), but not if I need to do this hoeing (or hire it out). Ditching the raised beds is not an option as my back yard is flat as a pancake and floods often.

I am a big believer in working smarter rather than harder ... is there a way to use motorized tools in a raised bed? I apologize if it seems like a stupid question, but I would think that any of the motorized tillers that I've seen online would potentially destroy the side walls of the raised bed. The walls are a soft untreated pine wood.

Additionally, I have weed guard under my beds that a motorized tiller would chew up. At this point, I could probably cut the weed guard out, as it's done it's job.

Any thoughts on tools, techniques, etc for tilling a raised garden bed more efficiently, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• till.jpg
    till.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
There are small tillers that you can use. I at 73 keep looking at them and decide the shovel and folk work fine for the once a year job every time.

1590324318306.png

Weight at 33 pounds for the 4 stroke model. They till to a max depth of 8 inches so depending on how deep your weed gaurd is you could avoid chewing rhe stuff up.
there is a 4 stroke model so there is no fuel to be mixing. and there is a 2 stroke model a bit cheaper but you need to mix fuel or buy the expencive premix in a can.

Mantis makes a corded electric model also.

Al

Reaction score
There are small tillers that you can use. I at 73 keep looking at them and decide the shovel and folk work fine for the once a year job every time.

View attachment 65517

Weight at 33 pounds for the 4 stroke model. They till to a max depth of 8 inches so depending on how deep your weed gaurd is you could avoid chewing rhe stuff up.
there is a 4 stroke model so there is no fuel to be mixing. and there is a 2 stroke model a bit cheaper but you need to mix fuel or buy the expencive premix in a can.

Mantis makes a corded electric model also.

Al
Al,
Thank you for the idea. I will definitely try it out.
-Michael

Reaction score
Al,
Thank you for the idea. I will definitely try it out.
-Michael
Al,
Your idea spurred an idea to look for a cordless tiller. I started researching and found a nice article. It seems that maybe rather than a tiller, I should be looking for a cultivater. This looks promising as well. See link below.

Ask a Question