FINALLY built the raised bed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello friends,

It's been a long time since I posted. Been lurking. I lost my job last Friday due to the corona virus nonsense. So, I decided to just retire. My wife and I set our goal to retire at 50 years old and although I just turned 54, it's close enough. She did retire two years ago at 52 years old and so now I FINALLY had time to build the raised bed. I wanted to share some photos.

We'll be planting beans, peas, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, maybe spinach, cucumbers and zucchini. Yes, the cukes and zucchini will NOT be in this raised bed. I think I'm going to build one more and I'm also going to build a vertical herb garden.

The soil in the raised bed is all organic and we are looking forward to some great stuff in the months to come! I'm sure I'll be here asking lots of questions about things.

Stay safe out there.

Mike

Attachments

• Raised Bed_01.png
    Raised Bed_01.png
    184 KB · Views: 137
  • Raised Bed_02.png
    Raised Bed_02.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking good! I hope you put the raised bed directly on the ground so the plant roots can travel below the ground beneath the beds. Its not a good plan to put fabric between the soil and the bed for gardening. If you have, you will see in time what I'm talking about by the end of summer. Good luck!.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes, I put the bed directly on the ground so the plants can travel. There is no fabric; just some wire to keep the groundhogs out. The holes in the wire is big enough for roots but too small for groundhogs. Those pests destroy everything and the city won't let me use dynamite to deal with them. LOL We mixed our good soil along with organic garden soil from the nursery and also sifted all the dirt to get rocks and twigs and such out of the soil. We got things planted yesterday and today we have had a nice gentle rain all day!! Perfect!! I'm very excited to see a good harvest and hope we get one.

Ask a Question