Raised bed help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
i have this little spot in back that I would like to grow a bunch of flowers for bees and whatnot, but after 2 inches of soil, the bottom has a rough, stone bottom. The roots can't possibly form properly.

Do I just fill it with soil, or do I need a raised bed?

Here is the area

IMG_2438.JPG

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I recommend going for a raised bed if you're concerned about it. The soil would need good drainage and I'm not sure it'd be good if the soil only 2 inches deep - even adding soil might not do much. Most raised beds are about 11", allowing more water and less harmful pests for your plants. Don't forget that the depth also depends on the type of flowers you want to grow. Plants grow more or less roots than others, so you'd need deep soil to ensure that they can grow roots to their full potential. Also the deeper roots go, the more moisture as well as nutrients a plant can gain. Plus, you wouldn't want your flowers drooping to the ground; it's an invitation for pests, so I'd go with the raised bed. Climbers will need a tipi of some sort also, if you're planning to grow them.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do I just fill it with soil, or do I need a raised bed?

How much can you fill it in without it either going in the pool or washing out on that walk?

It looks like you can get at least a couple inches in the back...if it were me, I think I'd put some kind of edging stone or brick around the front, and fill it at least a little. I don't know that you'd have to make a raised bed, though.

Something like one of these, one or two bricks high..

th

th

What plants do you want to grow there? You need to know that to determine whether you need a raised bed or not. o_O You can't pick anything that has deep roots for that area. :)

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Something like one of these, one or two bricks high..
What plants do you want to grow there? You need to know that to determine whether you need a raised bed or not. o_O You can't pick anything that has deep roots for that area. :)
I'd probably go for putting two to three bricks around the front and some in the back as you wouldn't want it to spill over - the stone fence doesn't seem like it'd give much height on its own. Plus bees love tall flowers like sunflowers and whatnot.:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Well, i had a lot of compost in the bin which needed harvesting, so I filled it here. :D

I didn't use any raised bed because I was recommended to just fill it up. It worked!

IMG_2448.JPG

Ask a Question