Raise Bed Material

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I'm new to this thread but not new to gardening however I have a question that may have already been discussed at length in other threads (if so could I have the link?).
I want to transform my existing ground level garden into raised beds. I have a good design in mind but I'm having a hard time deciding what material to use to build the beds. Options:

1) Pressure treated - Here in Atlantic Canada we have both brown and green pressure treated SPF. I know this may not be preferred because of the chemicals they use to seal the wood
2) Untreated SPF (could I seal the wood myself?)
3) Cedar or Hemlock - My preferred option but VERY expensive here.
4) Brick, composite - EXPENSIVE
5) Rocks - I really don't like this look

If I could have some advice from fellow gardeners it would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like raised beds alot, especially since my soil is horrible here.. and raised beds are just fun! Thing is I'm poor, I'm a gardener without a garden budget at the moment.. the main question is how much money will you spend, like you said, bricks would be awesome but expensive... And I hate to agree with EVERYONE else... But I am also OCD about NOT letting chemicals into my garden. Especially if I'm eating what comes out if it.. ANYWAY, I like the wood idea while doing your best to keep the chemicals out of your dirt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How about cinder blocks? You can even fill the holes and plant in them. They, unlike ANY type of wood, will last forever. You can make different designs, you can make it shallow or deep. They are probably less expensive than lumber and if you move just take them with you.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like raised beds alot, especially since my soil is horrible here.. and raised beds are just fun! Thing is I'm poor, I'm a gardener without a garden budget at the moment.. the main question is how much money will you spend, like you said, bricks would be awesome but expensive... And I hate to agree with EVERYONE else... But I am also OCD about NOT letting chemicals into my garden. Especially if I'm eating what comes out if it.. ANYWAY, I like the wood idea while doing your best to keep the chemicals out of your dirt

Ya, I think Pressure treated is out. Ideally I would like to do brick if I can find them on sale. They would last forever!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How about cinder blocks? You can even fill the holes and plant in them. They, unlike ANY type of wood, will last forever. You can make different designs, you can make it shallow or deep. They are probably less expensive than lumber and if you move just take them with you.

I like that idea! I never thought about blocks and you're right they are cheap. Thanks for the suggestion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ya, I think Pressure treated is out. Ideally I would like to do brick if I can find them on sale. They would last forever!
You can get used bricks but it will take a LOT of them. You cannot just stack one layer on top of the other as it will fall apart, the reason being is that they are light in weight. You could probably cement them together but even that is iffy and would not last forever.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can get used bricks but it will take a LOT of them. You cannot just stack one layer on top of the other as it will fall apart, the reason being is that they are light in weight. You could probably cement them together but even that is iffy and would not last forever.

Right. I will have to do some research and see if my area has a place that sells brick or blocks on sale

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Right. I will have to do some research and see if my area has a place that sells brick or blocks on sale
Here, lumber yards sell new cinder blocks for 3$ each. Masonry places sell used brick here for 20$ per 100 but you have to remove all of the old cement or they will be wobbly. Don't know about used cinder blocks.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here, lumber yards sell new cinder blocks for 3$ each. Masonry places sell used brick here for 20$ per 100 but you have to remove all of the old cement or they will be wobbly. Don't know about used cinder blocks.

Great! thank you for the advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
People that say do not use treated have a copper soap organic irony issue. And personally, I would make them collapsable. Let me explain.

I would plan a surface mount 6x6 treated (copper micronutrient) with a tin roof (zinc micronutrient-iron if rusty) utility panel. This is 24 inches high basically. I would not dig the posts into the ground but I would run some wind rods through the 6" high center and the middle of each remaining distance such that tornadic winds would have a tonnage to lift if they came by one day. I would use screws so I could disassemble the large container and amend with my tiller for my ease, and upon reassembly, simply shovel the newly sterilized and amended earth back into the reassembled container come spring.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
People that say do not use treated have a copper soap organic irony issue. And personally, I would make them collapsable. Let me explain.

I would plan a surface mount 6x6 treated (copper micronutrient) with a tin roof (zinc micronutrient-iron if rusty) utility panel. This is 24 inches high basically. I would not dig the posts into the ground but I would run some wind rods through the 6" high center and the middle of each remaining distance such that tornadic winds would have a tonnage to lift if they came by one day. I would use screws so I could disassemble the large container and amend with my tiller for my ease, and upon reassembly, simply shovel the newly sterilized and amended earth back into the reassembled container come spring.

Great advice. I like this idea. Pressure treated doesn't scare me that much. I know the chemicals they use now are arsenic free. I have just read too many personal opinions I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pressure treated is perfectly safe to use.
Filling the beds can be an expense too so you may want to consider the height of the beds.
I try to make my beds at least 18" high.
For filling the beds I done a hugelkultur/lasagna type method.

Logs were put in the bottom, followed by sticks, branches, hay, leaves, sod, old potting mix, shrubs, mulch, compost, manure, clay soil from digging out the area, etc...

At the end of the season I grow a cover crop in the beds to overwinter.

Here's an example of one I built over top of a stump, this area was always a problem in my yard.

• Area to put the bed.
26510147091_0b44c05302_b.jpg

• Stump
26576128575_5e158e4e34_b.jpg

• Prepping area
26510146011_c391f9ee09_b.jpg

25973208673_1462994489_b.jpg

26483726302_0fc25279b7_b.jpg

26549933686_0c5af97f93_b.jpg

26549933236_c822e9af5e_b.jpg

26483724172_f4ea8e0085_b.jpg

29314817353_7a14924767_b.jpg