Unconventional Raised Bed Building Material

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4/5
Country
United States
I love to recycle anything I can, especially if I would have to pay to throw it out. Last year we replaced our cheap box spring and when I took the fabric off, it had a lovely wooden framework! I reworked it by cutting it in half, taking the middle boards out and adding them to the side to create a lattice box. It was about a foot deep, and perfect for growing my lettuce in last year. Added bonus, it looked great, no one could tell it was a box spring in its former life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting, I never thought of that. I sometimes mix cardboard and newspaper in with the soil when I go to plant, but they only worked when I was in Georgia because the soil was so wet. I've seen people even use old truck tires to make planters. It is amazing how creative recycling products can be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds fantastic and what a great way to recycle! I wouldn't have thought of that idea at all :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
love the box spring idea Anna. I made a great Table out of a old Fire Door, I also have a few butler sinks In the garden & a fancy bidet planted up with flowers every summer:)

I may just do a box spring planter my own one day the more I think about it the more I like it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I've used wood pallets for everything from compost bins to raised beds. they're great to pile firewood on to keep it dry. I'm always scavenging them. when i need a board i pull one off a pallet!. i use the broken hardwood ones to grow oyster mushrooms on. old tractor tires make great raised beds!;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have used all kinds of crazy stuff for raised beds in the past. My husband is a bit more picky and uses cinder blocks ;) Old wooden bed frames with a headboard and foot board make really cute raised 'beds'. Drawers with the bottoms out make small beds. Small tree trunks, especially cedar, work well. Of course, large rocks are always a good choice to line beds. Once I found some blue plastic house siding with a scalloped edge that worked great. Each piece was 4 ft long and about 12" high and worked perfectly for square beds. I am always eyeballing junk I see and trying to figure out what I can use it for!!

Kavatika

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm currently deconstructing heat-treated pallets to build my garden beds out of. My wonderful hubby spoiled me terribly and got me a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails with, so now I can completely deconstruct a pallet in about 30 minutes. Nice heat-treated pine, great for garden beds!

Ask a Question