Question about soil test recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you!! I will get blood meal then, and sulfur. Should I use any manure as well? It won’t burn the strawberries if I do?
For my nitrogen, not sure how high it is, though I did grow green beans and peas in half that patch last year.
You could use manure if you wanted to since the phosphorus level isn't high instead of blood meal. Continued use of manure can keep raising phosphorus levels. 18 lbs of chicken manure will add 30 lbs/acre of N to 500 square feet. You could do either, or, or 50/50 of each.

Still add the sulfur though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lab I use routinely tests for Total Nitrogen, Nitrate (NO3) and ammonium (NH4). I key on ppm of Total Nitrogen. Total Nitrogen measures all sources of nitrogen including inorganic and organic. I know from experience that a reading at or above 32 ppm is optimal for growing veggies in my garden soil.

32 ppm equates to about 60 lbs of N per acre so that gives some comparison.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Would manure tea be a good liquid nitrogen fertilizer? Could that also sub for the seaweed, or do I need to get seaweed too?
Yes, manure tea would do but the seaweed is mainly for potash that strawberries need to fruit.
Do you know what kind of strawberries you will be planting?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, good to know!! I don’t know the variety, I’ve already have them in a bed for a couple years, from transplants from a friend. They’re not ever bearing though, it’s a June-bearing one.
Yes, manure tea would do but the seaweed is mainly for potash that strawberries need to fruit.
Do you know what kind of strawberries you will be planting?

Ask a Question