Soil storage question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning - New to gardening and recently moved to a new apartment that allowed me to FINALLY have the space for a garden out on my deck. My "garden" is planted in 3 large raised planters on the 2nd floor. I'm curious what everyone suggests to store the soil for the winter - I live in zone 5b. I would like to try and reuse the soil next year. Hauling all of it upstairs this spring was not an easy task and I would like to avoid having to do it again. I realize I may have to add a few new bags but it took approx 20 large bags to fill them. Thank you in advance!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
This is what I would do: Replenish the soil in situ. Plant some beautiful clover, crimson and/or white, maybe some vetch which has nice purple blooms, maybe alfalfa which has surprising flowers when left to grow. These legumes will rebuild your soil while providing you something green and flowery to look at a good part of the winter.

No need to haul it out, use it in place with soil builders. Next spring, if you still have some green remaining turn it under into the soil. This is easily done by hand with a trowel and within a week or so it will be ready to plant in healthy, vibrant soil.

Ask a Question