Hi, guys PH soil meter question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, guys! I'm new to forum but experience gardener. I was thinking to buy PH meter for soil. I'm raising vegetables in raising beds. I looked at Home Depot web site. Most of the units are not dependable by the revievers. Can somebody recommend not very expensive unit but dependable one, good working. I appreciate any help. Have a great Friday and coming weekend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have bought a couple of these things and none worked (one was from Home Depot) One problem seems to be they are not a very popular purchase, so they tend to sit on the shelf for years. I would suggest getting one on line and from the manufacturer if possible. Incidentally, they are a bit of a pain to use - theres' a lot more to it than just sticking the probe in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit of a tricky situation, perhaps even more so being the other side of the pond. Usually several soil samples are gathered. Then whether using a meter or the chemical method, each sample is tested. Then in most cases an average reading is taken and this is then considered to be the pH value.

I have a small test meter. Rapitest Soil pH Meter. It also can be used to check the existing light value, and moisture. Having used this in the greenhouse since the 1980's I have found it very useful if and when growing non-native subjects. It has a fixed probe, some have a short wire from the meter to the probe. Always make sure the probe is clean and dry for each test.

If very large areas are to be tested, then the tests are best left to professionals.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried several PH meters none of them work right. A 99 cent pack of PH paper works every time.

100_9009.JPG
100_9008.JPG
100_9010.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Taste your soil: if it tastes sweet, it's alkaline, if tart, it's acidic.
I hope you are joking. You don't want to put soil with composts, manures and fertilizers in you mouth!
Incidentally, while a lot of people think they will be able to just walk round the yard sticking the probe in the ground, the instructions for the ph meters all tell you to take samples and mix them with water in a cup to test them. It's not at all convenient.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you are joking. You don't want to put soil with composts, manures and fertilizers in you mouth!
Incidentally, while a lot of people think they will be able to just walk round the yard sticking the probe in the ground, the instructions for the ph meters all tell you to take samples and mix them with water in a cup to test them. It's not at all convenient.
No joke.

Ask a Question