pruning advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Acer tree in a large plant pot and was advised to prune it regularly to keep it in said pot.
If correct, what is the general advice on doing this, please?

thank's
Bob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can I put this another way.....................
how does one prune plants, and when's best to do it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If your tree is in a pot, it isn't the top growth you need to worry about (although there should be a balance between roots and top growth). To maintain the plant in a pot, you will need to root prune. Something I have never done, but I did find this:
As to pruning top growth, when the tree is dormant is best. Pruning during the growth season just encourages growth, which is usually weaker and less able to stand up to weather conditions. When cutting off branches, cut in the direction you want the new growth to go--not inward to the center of the plant, and not resulting in an umbrella effect.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand thanks for the info.
Ideally, it would want planting in the ground, but space is at a premium, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When the leaves are off and the sap is down. No more than 1/3. The upside and rootside need to be in balance. While too little topside compared to roots may be ok, too liitle root to support the top will at a minimum cause it to shed, or starve basically, sections of the top.

Ask a Question