Problems with Carolina Reapers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve searched existing threads, but I have not found an solution to my problem.

I am growing Carolina reapers and some other hot peppers for the first time. The peppers were germinated and started indoors, then hardened off and eventually moved outdoors in April. They are planted in 5 gallon buckets with holes in the bottom, covered by a layer of gravel, and then filled with a mixture of potting soil, sand, and a little bit of peat moss. The plants are currently about 4 feet tall and are showing a lot of green pods along with a few pod that have just started to color up.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that some of the pods were developing black coloration around the top of the pod. In researching it, it seemed likely that this was just some sort of sunburn and maybe was nothing to be terribly concerned about. Lately, more and more of the pods are showing this black coloration, and I’m starting to get concerned about the condition of the stem where it connects to the plant, because that is starting to look black also. In one case, the crotch where the stem connects to the plant has actually broken. I’m not sure if that is because of this condition, or if something else happened to it but I am concerned. (see pics below)

Since this is my first experience with reapers, I am not sure how much of this is normal and whether any of it is something I should be worried about. Any insights that you care to offer would be most appreciated!

The pics:

5C7DBAE7-D985-467E-9536-6C8D07AFFC69.jpeg

478DA952-1557-475C-B251-951E96C35B6F.jpeg
F1460BB7-55D4-4166-8286-E2F0F70828EA.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve searched existing threads, but I have not found an solution to my problem.

I am growing Carolina reapers and some other hot peppers for the first time. The peppers were germinated and started indoors, then hardened off and eventually moved outdoors in April. They are planted in 5 gallon buckets with holes in the bottom, covered by a layer of gravel, and then filled with a mixture of potting soil, sand, and a little bit of peat moss. The plants are currently about 4 feet tall and are showing a lot of green pods along with a few pod that have just started to color up.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that some of the pods were developing black coloration around the top of the pod. In researching it, it seemed likely that this was just some sort of sunburn and maybe was nothing to be terribly concerned about. Lately, more and more of the pods are showing this black coloration, and I’m starting to get concerned about the condition of the stem where it connects to the plant, because that is starting to look black also. In one case, the crotch where the stem connects to the plant has actually broken. I’m not sure if that is because of this condition, or if something else happened to it but I am concerned. (see pics below)

Since this is my first experience with reapers, I am not sure how much of this is normal and whether any of it is something I should be worried about. Any insights that you care to offer would be most appreciated!

The pics:

View attachment 84232
View attachment 84233View attachment 84234
Your peppers look good. The blackening is normal on many peppers. It is the start of the ripening process. Black stems are also normal even on some sweet peppers. On hot peppers it is common but not all plants do this.

Ask a Question