Probably starting a garden soon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well, I'm getting into the whole plant thing, been meaning to for a while, and just never really had the time. This summer, I'm going to try for my first Garden. My great grandfather was a farmer, and when he retired he maintained a vegetable garden every year until a couple years ago, when he passed away. I plan on taking over the garden this year, starting with just potatoes, and probably eventually expanding into carrots, peas, etc depending on the next few years. It's not a small garden, so I won't likely water it unless we go a while with no rain. Anyway, to the point, I was wondering if any of you more veteran greenthumbs have advice for a novice young lad such as myself. What are some common errors? What are some things I ought to do? What about things I shouldn't do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I would grow at least two or three other veg, as, if you don't get your one crop quite right and are disappointed by that harvest, there is every chance that another will compensate, and you'll be less likely to give up.

How about a small herb garden, and a few onions?
Fresh herbs can, without a lot of work, hugely impact your cuisine, and now is a good time to buy onion sets (Dutch onions)?

Peas are easy to grow, brassicas too.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just suggesting you might have a think about it.

Durgan is a clever, experienced gardener, also from Canada, in a close climate zone, and so perhaps can lead you better than I, especially as far as suitable vegetable varieties is concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Onions is actually a good idea. My great grandpa grew potatoes, onions, carrots, beans, peas, dill, rhubarb, and tomatoes, off the top of my head. Although, he didn't grow the tomatoes in the garden. I don't think I'll do peas, because afaik you need to set up a fence to grow those, and short story long, if my career works out like I want, I won't be around to tend the garden next year, so I'd have to take the fence down after one use. Lots of work, little gain, but I definitely appreciate that suggestion. Think I'll try onions, although I don't know what the difference is between say a Dutch onion and whatever I'd grab at the grocery store.

I'm from Alberta, and we have seriously bipolar weather here, so the plants would have to be hardy. Climate zone is more or less not applicable, except as a generalization. I've seen summers never get hotter than 25C, and also summers never really go below 35C until it snows.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Onions is actually a good idea. My great grandpa grew potatoes, onions, carrots, beans, peas, dill, rhubarb, and tomatoes, off the top of my head. Although, he didn't grow the tomatoes in the garden. I don't think I'll do peas, because afaik you need to set up a fence to grow those, and short story long, if my career works out like I want, I won't be around to tend the garden next year, so I'd have to take the fence down after one use. Lots of work, little gain, but I definitely appreciate that suggestion. Think I'll try onions, although I don't know what the difference is between say a Dutch onion and whatever I'd grab at the grocery store.

I'm from Alberta, and we have seriously bipolar weather here, so the plants would have to be hardy. Climate zone is more or less not applicable, except as a generalization. I've seen summers never get hotter than 25C, and also summers never really go below 35C until it snows.
A Dutch onion is an onion which has grown in close proximity to others to stop it growing to a size where it is likely to run to seed.
Plant them 4-6 inches apart, dependant upon the type and the size of onion you want.

http://www.dutchonions.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, I'm getting into the whole plant thing, been meaning to for a while, and just never really had the time. This summer, I'm going to try for my first Garden. My great grandfather was a farmer, and when he retired he maintained a vegetable garden every year until a couple years ago, when he passed away. I plan on taking over the garden this year, starting with just potatoes, and probably eventually expanding into carrots, peas, etc depending on the next few years. It's not a small garden, so I won't likely water it unless we go a while with no rain. Anyway, to the point, I was wondering if any of you more veteran greenthumbs have advice for a novice young lad such as myself. What are some common errors? What are some things I ought to do? What about things I shouldn't do?
I used pallets as a filler for my raised bed. Always recycle. :)

Ask a Question