Probably not gonna work, but......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......not many things, gardening-wise, frustrates me more than leggy, spindly seedlings. So, just for grins and giggling, I replanted, DEEP, a Brussels Sprout and a broccoli seedling to see what would happen........film at 11.
20180927_151656.jpg

Attachments

• 20180927_151647-1.jpg
    20180927_151647-1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 190
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......not many things, gardening-wise, frustrates me more than leggy, spindly seedlings. So, just for grins and giggling, I replanted, DEEP, a Brussels Sprout and a broccoli seedling to see what would happen........film at 11. View attachment 45485
You can plant deeper but without sufficient light they will just get leggy again. Akin to lowering the river instead of raising the bridge. And by planting deeper your risking stem rot. They aren't like tomatoes which will grow roots up the buried stem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's seldom I disagree with Chuck, but I believe the risk of stem rot to be minimal.
Many, many, many brassicas are started in seed beds FOR THE VERY PURPOSE OF TRANSPLANTING DEEPER later on. They have little in the way of roots, so burying them deeper helps guard against drought and lodging.
I even earth mine up when they grow tall.
He is right about the light though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's seldom I disagree with Chuck, but I believe the risk of stem rot to be minimal.
Many, many, many brassicas are started in seed beds FOR THE VERY PURPOSE OF TRANSPLANTING DEEPER later on. They have little in the way of roots, so burying them deeper helps guard against drought and lodging.
I even earth mine up when they grow tall.
He is right about the light though.
Well......that being said, by a Brit (and I have followed MANY allotment sites for inspiration and tips, for years), who ALWAYS has to "be on your toes" and "think outside the box" because of having such difficult weather patterns to overcome.....I am encouraged to plant ALL of them deep in the raised beds as soon as the true leaves develop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Remember to walk all over the soil when you have planted them. Many brassicas like compacted soil as it lends more support. Cauliflowers and brussels sprouts are the two which best spring to mind.
Remember to protect from birds and slugs/snails.
Pigeons especially will decimate them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Remember to walk all over the soil when you have planted them. Many brassicas like compacted soil as it lends more support. Cauliflowers and brussels sprouts are the two which best spring to mind.
Remember to protect from birds and slugs/snails.
Pigeons especially will decimate them.
Here in the land o' cotton one good rain will compact the clay soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
UPDATE........5 days after deep planting the leggy broccoli, the plants HAVE shown growth........but are beginning to look like this. Not sure, yet, but it may be stem rot as Chuck had said might happen.
20181003_165952.jpg

Ask a Question