Privacy Hedges

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

I was looking for some suggestions on what might be a good privacy hedge but one that doesn’t take up a lot of space. And by space I just mean grow too wide.
What I have are divider walls between both sides of my house which are roughly about 5ft-6ft tall and along with those walls I have some occasional noisy neighbors. I’m not looking for something that goes extravagantly high but something that just goes past the tops of the walls.
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated! I’m in a Zone 9 when it comes to planting.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try:
Nandina domestica
Carolina Cherry Laurel - Prunus caroliniana
Monterey Bay Brush Cherry - Syzygium paniculatum Monterey Bay
Laurustinus - Viburnum tinus

All will get as tall as you want and all but Nandina take shearing well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Consider which way the wall faces. A South facing wall could have an espalier fruit tree or such. North facing consider something like a clematis that likes its roots in the shade and head in the sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nandina domestica
Lovely plant, but we can`t grow it here in alkaline soil. My favourite hedging plant for privacy is Griselinia. Although it will grow very tall, or very wide, like Nandina it is a joy to clip and so can be kept just as you like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
There are smaller hollies used frequently for hedging. Benefits are being evergreen, big draw for pollinators and later...birds, and don't need trimming as frequently as a number of other hedge options.

Ask a Question