bush selection for privacy fence

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi, i am looking for suggestions for privacy fence plants. my thujas suddenly turned brown this year and looks like they are not going to make it. this is not just my thujas, its all of them in denver area, from me driving and noticing other places have same issue with them turning brown. i would prefer evergreen but i am open for anything at this point, that grows reasonably fast. i have pampered these thujas for over 10 years, but they never seem to do very well. something that could get about 5 feet tall woudl eb nice, i have a strip thats about 40' long and runs north to south. again, this is denver area, very dry during summer, it can get to 70 in winter day and then in teens following night. i think this is what might got my thujas. these temperature swings are pretty crazy.

thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1616366628158.png
Griselinia littoralis would be my favourite hedging plant to use. It grows quickly and looks good if you just leave it to grow. If you want to clip it to shape it up it is soft and easy to clip. It will get to a great height if that`s what you want. It grows easily from cuttings too. There is a variegated form which grows less strongly.
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Because of Denver’s exceptional altitude and weather I would highly recommend inquiring at a locally run nursery. They know the challenges of the area. There is nothing like local knowledge. Also check out the county extension office recommendations. They probably have some unusual drought tolerant plants perfect for your area. High grasses might even be an alternative. It’s a lovely area and I miss the annual visits to my grandparents homes who lived in Denver.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because of Denver’s exceptional altitude and weather I would highly recommend inquiring at a locally run nursery. They know the challenges of the area. There is nothing like local knowledge. Also check out the county extension office recommendations. They probably have some unusual drought tolerant plants perfect for your area. High grasses might even be an alternative. It’s a lovely area and I miss the annual visits to my grandparents homes who lived in Denver.
Excellent advice @Jewell, It is so easy to overlook weather conditions in other areas in the world.

Ask a Question