Privacy Hedges in Urban Backyard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

I live in a small city with a small yard and want to set up hedges going around my yard for some privacy. I have a 6 foot fence going all the way around the yard and would like to have the hedges a few feet above the fence. I've been reading all about hedges and have decided, for New England weather, a Privet Hedge might be my best option. I've found great prices for Amur North River Privets. My concern is that if left untrimmed, they get enormous. I would like to plant them less than two feet away from my fence so that it doesn't cut down my actual yard space (grass area) too much. Has anyone had these hedges or similar hedges that they have trimmed to a foot depth rather than the 8 foot depth that it describes untrimmed? I don't want to plant all these hedges without knowing that it is possible and won't just run a muck and ruin my fence.

Thank you so much in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes Privet is a good choice for you, also you may want to look at Wax Leaf Ligustrum or Variegated Privet too. All the hedges are very manageable but need pruning every year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a some photos I took today, of my Variegated privet that's 7 years old. The smell of the flowers are out of this world and very very strong. The bees are all over her everyday while she is blooming.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nelly R Stevens are popular as well as Chinese Photinia for privicy, however I don't know what zone you are in so check them out.

Ask a Question