Privacy fence

Reaction score
Has anyone done any shopping for privacy fencing ?? I want to put some up that's a good value, sturdy and long lasting. Strong enough for hanging plants on. I thought about vinyl, but don't know how sturdy it is. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have worked around some homes with vinyl
I am not very impressed
I sturdy wooden fence with treated post and runners is what i would build again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have an old farm fence that is made of lotus, that stuff is still doing great. One tough wood

Reaction score
I have worked around some homes with vinyl
I am not very impressed
I sturdy wooden fence with treated post and runners is what i would build again

What's a good wood to use. Every wooden fence I see around my place is warping or crumbling. And I don't want pressure treated. Not looking to impress. Just want a sturdy, long lasting privacy fence.

Reaction score
I don't know. I need people to tell me what they've used, and how well it's held up. And how much maintainence it needs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That depends on how you want it to look, fencing can be stained, left alone, painted. Our lotus fence is not messed with, just looks like old barn wood which I like, Still standing after years and years

Reaction score
We have a 6 foot wood dog eared privacy fence. When we put it up, we left it for a few years till it turned grey. Than we painted it. It has been up for 16 years now. We painted it twice since it's been up. He had to replace 2 of the 4x4 posts 2 years ago, they broke loose where the cement was poured into the ground. We bought the wood from Home Depot, it's pressure treated. Still looks good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I made mine out of one inch rough cut cypress boards i got from a saw mill
Pressure treated runners and post
every thing weathered to a light gray, Its almost 20 years old and still strong

Reaction score
I didn't think paint stuck well on pressure treated ?? :confused:

We waited a few years, after it turned grey. Parts that had patina on it, we sprayed with bleach water to get it off before painting. When we put a fence in the front yard a couple of years ago, I wanted it painted right away to match the rest of the fence. They told us after it dries out, a couple of months, primer it first than paint it. So far, the paint has held up on both.

Reaction score
Our fence is wood also.....It was almost twice the price to have someone install vs do it ourselves. And although we usually do everything ourselves we had them install it because with their installation it came with a 10 year warranty against everything, including warping. After having it installed we stained it dark brown using a semi-opague stain. It shows some but not all of the grain. It's been up now for 2 years and looks great. I think with the stain you have to restain every 5 years or so. We only used treated wood for the posts not for the pickets or the supports. If you did this though you would not want to wait years befor staining or painting. We stained ours as soon as the weather was dry enough it, about a month after installation. Had no problem with the treated posts absorbing the stain. Treated wood for the posts is best though since they should be in the ground in concrete. Also if you do it yourself look into the best way to set the posts. I've heard differnt opinions, but if you don't have them and the concrete at the right depth they will heave up out of the ground. Another reason we had it professionally installed, so it could be their problem and not ours.

Vinyl fence is nice but usually twice the cost at least. Our fence was 4k (we have a huge yard) and to do vinyl it would have been 8-10k. Its best to still use wood posts inside the hollow vinyl posts to give the structure strength against wind. Aside from the rediculous price though looks was another determining factor for us. You are limited in your choices of the look for vinyl, but with wood you can have whatever you want pretty much. Our fence is 6' around our patio area and then 4' the rest of the way around our yard (association rules). Where it tapers from the higher to the lower I have a nice gradual rolling look, but if we had gone with vinyl it would have just been a big drop. Not very appealing to me. Also, I really wanted convex curves between posts and with vinyl our only option was concave.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have both the wood and vinyl fences here and none of them can stand the heat here .My neighbors had vinyl and they had it installed by Barrow fencing here and it is cracking in a couple of spots again .The fence has been up 4 years now and parts and pieces have been replaced ever since .It also has stains on the bottom from the red clay dirt that seems to not want to come out even when the company tried cleaning it .

j.w

Reaction score
Around here the people w/ the vinyl fencing I see are having problems also w/ parts breaking and I always see slats laying on the ground as I walk. Looks like they are easy to break especially when used around kids and horses.

Ask a Question