preparing new succulent plant bed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a large area that needs to be walked on to plant. I just raised a bed because of bad soil and placed the proper succulent soil in the bed. The soil is very loose and will probably fall a few inches and that is my problem. I want the plants to be about two inches from the top of this 45 foot long by average 7 feet (curvy) to the back wall garden. I will use small rocks to fill in the top 2 inches. My question is how can I compact the soil to a degree where it is the height I want and is still ok enough for my plants. Right now if I walk on it it sinks about 3 inches. I have read that the soil needs to be airy but I need to maintain this bed through the years and need to walk on it. Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could add shredded mulch, compost, and leaves to build it up level . mix it all up it will settle about right

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large area that needs to be walked on to plant. I just raised a bed because of bad soil and placed the proper succulent soil in the bed. The soil is very loose and will probably fall a few inches and that is my problem. I want the plants to be about two inches from the top of this 45 foot long by average 7 feet (curvy) to the back wall garden. I will use small rocks to fill in the top 2 inches. My question is how can I compact the soil to a degree where it is the height I want and is still ok enough for my plants. Right now if I walk on it it sinks about 3 inches. I have read that the soil needs to be airy but I need to maintain this bed through the years and need to walk on it. Thanks for any help you can provide me.
Hello and welcome to the GF forums
I think that you need to leave it for a few weeks to let it settle then plant if it's firmed up.

Ask a Question