Potocarpus help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently planted 9 large potocarpus hedges. The 1st month they looked great, now all of a sudden the leaves on all are starting to turn yellow and fall off. I check the soil before watering so i don't think i'm over watering. Could it be the soil? I just inserted 1 Vigoro Fertilier spike per shrub to see if that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Potocarpus 1.jpg
    Potocarpus 1.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Potocarpus 2.jpg
    Potocarpus 2.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Potocarpus 3.jpg
    Potocarpus 3.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Potocarpus 4.jpg
    Potocarpus 4.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Your hedges appears to be composed of Shrubby Yew-pine (Podocarpus macrophyllus var. maki), an evergreen conifer native to Burma, China, Taiwan, and Japan.

It is good taht you are considering watering amounts and drainage. Af ter establishment it may need little suplemental irrigation in your climate.If you feel that watering and drainage are correct, I would just continue further observation at this time. Leaf drop is only a problem if over the course of a year more leaves fall than are replaced. All woody plants eventually drop their oldest leaves, the ones farthest from the growing tips. This is the pattern we see here. Many evergreen conifers do drop their oldest leaves in the Autumn. If the plants continues to fill out overall, I would not worry bbout the level of leaf drop I am seeing.

The fertilizer spikes sound like an fine addition, even if they don't stop the leaf drop.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Your hedges appears to be composed of Shrubby Yew-pine (Podocarpus macrophyllus var. maki), an evergreen conifer native to Burma, China, Taiwan, and Japan.

It is good taht you are considering watering amounts and drainage. Af ter establishment it may need little suplemental irrigation in your climate.If you feel that watering and drainage are correct, I would just continue further observation at this time. Leaf drop is only a problem if over the course of a year more leaves fall than are replaced. All woody plants eventually drop their oldest leaves, the ones farthest from the growing tips. This is the pattern we see here. Many evergreen conifers do drop their oldest leaves in the Autumn. If the plants continues to fill out overall, I would not worry bbout the level of leaf drop I am seeing.

The fertilizer spikes sound like an fine addition, even if they don't stop the leaf drop.
Thank you Marck! I really appreciate your response. I will monitor and update the forum in a few month's. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you post a photo of the whole plant in the ground it would help me more.

Ask a Question