Help, weird spots on my dracena

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some weird spots have appeared on my plant, please see pictures,
I thought it could be a fungus. Can anybody help me?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

The leaves of Dracaena, in this case Dracaena fragrans 'Warneckii' blemish easily when grown conditions that are less than ideal. Ideally this plant would be growing in an environment of high light and moderate humidity. This can be difficult to perfectly achieve indoors.
Irregular watering and low humidity are the mostly like causes. There is also a fungal leaf spot disease known to infect Dracaena, known as Phoma draconis. Of course, cultural problems will exacerbate the disease.

Give the plant bright light, water regularly and make certain the soil drains well. Let the soil partly dry. Fertilize on a schedule with a complete fertilizer. Remove and dispose of the most unsightly leaves or leaf tips. Also, have reasonable expectations about the plant's appearance. Leaf blemishes will be inevitable as the leaves age.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

The leaves of Dracaena, in this case Dracaena fragrans 'Warneckii' blemish easily when grown conditions that are less than ideal. Ideally this plant would be growing in an environment of high light and moderate humidity. This can be difficult to perfectly achieve indoors.
Irregular watering and low humidity are the mostly like causes. There is also a fungal leaf spot disease known to infect Dracaena, known as Phoma draconis. Of course, cultural problems will exacerbate the disease.

Give the plant bright light, water regularly and make certain the soil drains well. Let the soil partly dry. Fertilize on a schedule with a complete fertilizer. Remove and dispose of the most unsightly leaves or leaf tips. Also, have reasonable expectations about the plant's appearance. Leaf blemishes will be inevitable as the leaves age.
Thank you for your answer. I've had this plant for a year and half and I've never had spots like this. In case is a fungal leaf cause, do you think I should purchase a fungal treatment?

New leaves are also coming out from the plants, and these spots started coming out after I think I overwatered the plant about a month ago.

I was thinking to change the soil of the plant and use a fungal treatment,what do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may be a fungal leaf spot, I'm not certain. The fungicides that would be used to treat this in a commercial setting are toxic. Many are not licensed for residential use, and I would be quite cautious with the ones that are. There are organic options such as Neem Oil or Epsom Salts, but their effectiveness is uncertain at best. However keeping your plant properly fertilized can be effective. Plants need their nutrients in order to grow well and fight off disease.

You also might try 'summering' the plant outdoors. Getting houseplants out of the house for awhile can be a real tonic. I see you live in Los Angeles, so you could do this well into the Fall. I actually keep a Dracaena fragrans 'Lemon-Lime' outdoors in a protected spot on a covered porch all year, though one year it did show cold damage....

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may be a fungal leaf spot, I'm not certain. The fungicides that would be used to treat this in a commercial setting are toxic. Many are not licensed for residential use, and I would be quite cautious with the ones that are. There are organic options such as Neem Oil or Epsom Salts, but their effectiveness is uncertain at best. However keeping your plant properly fertilized can be effective. Plants need their nutrients in order to grow well and fight off disease.

You also might try 'summering' the plant outdoors. Getting houseplants out of the house for awhile can be a real tonic. I see you live in Los Angeles, so you could do this well into the Fall. I actually keep a Dracaena fragrans 'Lemon-Lime' outdoors in a protected spot on a covered porch all year, though one year it did show cold damage....
Thank you for your suggestions. You don't think that change the soil could help get rid of the fungus?
I don't think the plant will last untill fall in this condition.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If there is a leaf-spot fungal infection, some of the fungal spores may be in the soil. However, I doubt that repotting would fully solve the problem. However it might have some benefit, if done in concert with the cultural care already mentioned. Mulching the soil surface or repotting with soil replacement are options to try. leaf spot fungi do not usually kill their hosts, but of course making them unsightly does defeat the purpose of an ornamental plant.

Ask a Question