Portable greenhouse help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im looking into getting a small little greenhouse to start my plants in this spring, as well as extend my growing season. Has anyone had any success with these ?

Also, how would i keep one warm enough for germination etc... im in zone 6

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have no advice regarding a portable greenhouse. :( Every one I have seen pictures of seems like it would blow away in a strong wind. I hope someone else can advise you on that.

If I can borrow a friend with a pick-up truck at the right time of year, I want to make a temporary "greenhouse" just to use as a plant-starter. I have a rectangular piece of glass from an old coffee table, and I've been looking at these pictures...

th
. .
th

th
. .
th

Straw is fairly inexpensive here. I really like the look of the smaller six-bale construction. I'm thinking that since it rains a good bit in spring, I should be able to move them around once I plant the starts, and use the bales for straw-bale gardening. At the end of the season, I could spread them out and just let them rot into the ground over the winter. (y) Or, once I plant my starts, I could break them up and use them as mulch.

I have heard that straw bales can be used for two summers, but I'd want to wait and see what they looked like at the end of the first summer. :unsure:

You might find this link helpful. :) Scroll about halfway down the page, and click
"Continue Reading." I couldn't get it to load to the page I wanted. :confused:

In June 2013, we sent a winter gardening survey to thousands of readers all over the United States and beyond, asking growers about their best strategies for growing food in winter. This page includes a large sampling of the responses we received, organized by Growing Zone. https://www.motherearthnews.com/org...ues/winter-gardening-tips-zm0z13onzsto#Zone_8

Caz

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:) Not long joined forum so only just seen post i had one last year and it worked well grew beans garlic herbs all sorts just got from b&m wasnt sure if i would get into gardening hubs built me a new larger one now exciting year to come goodluck

Ask a Question